In With The New - Hiding Something?

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">Chapter 19

CHRIS POV

"Yes mom." I droned for the umpteenth time, rolling my eyes over the phone.

"I mean it Chris, I really want grandchildren." My mother stated.

"I'm only twenty years old, mom, with a steady career. What do you want from me?"

"I. Want. Grandchildren!" She demanded. This was our typical weekly conversation, with her coercing me to get married and have kids. Every time, we'd have the same argument about my age and career. My mom was obsessed with kids- hence the reason why she had so many of her own. Being one out of four brothers and six sisters, my mothers love for children was a bit obvious.

"At least let me live my life first, mom."

"And what is that meant to mean? Once you have kids, your life is over? I swear, if I was next to you right now, I'd smack you so hard."

"You know that's not what I mean. Just give me some time."

"Time? Jennifer was eighteen when she got married and had her first child! What makes you so special?" Mom retorted enthusiastically. Jennifer's my younger sister, who already had her life sorted out. At twenty one, she already had a devoted husband, two kids and was running a successful business in Manhattan. "I just don't want my son to die a single man." My mother confessed bluntly. It was evident that her philosophy was different to mine and she just wouldn't tolerate my alternative take on life.

"But I didn't tell you that there wasn't a girl in my life, did I?" I retorted, unable to keep the grin off of my face. I counted down the seconds in my head. 3... 2... 1...

"Oh my Lord! Thank Heavens! You better not be playing with me Chris, unless you want a good kick in the butt! Who is she? What's her name? Have you bought the ring yet?"

Just as I expected.

"Calm down, mom. Don't go hollering it to the whole world now. Yes, I told you that there was a girl in my life, but I didn't say that she was my girlfriend. Besides, we've still got a long way to go before anything sets in concrete." I rushed, before she could run off to tell everybody in the family. Acacia wasn't my girlfriend, but she wasn't exactly just a friend either. I didn't want to make any more hasty decisions that would jeopardise our relationship again, so I made sure to make careful footsteps when it came to Acacia.

"Well I'm still keeping my hopes high," mother whispered. "I know you've always been a picky little runt, so the girl must be a dime for you to like her." She finished and I knew there was a smile on her face.

"I suggest you lower your hopes a bit, mom." I sighed, ruffling my hair. "She's a really tricky girl." My voice lowered a few notches, signalling that something wasn't ok.

"Come on, tell your momma." She cooed.

"Well... I'm always left wondering whether she actually likes me back or not. She's such a complex character and she sometimes has this distant look, like she knows shes doing the wrong thin... But I just don't understand." I complained.

Mom stopped making sounds, and everything on her line fell silent.

"Hello?"

"I say she's hiding something."

"What? What's that supposed to mean?"

"She's hiding something and she doesn't know how to tell you," she said in a voice full of thought and wisdom. "You're going to have to give her some time... Let her sort things out, and in due time, all will be fine." She advised. I felt an unpleasant chill run down my spine. Acacia was the truest person I'd ever met. She wouldn't hide something from me.

"Thanks for the advice mom, but I highly doubt she's hiding anything from me."

"You never know, I'm just saying," She replied mysteriously. "After all, mothers know best!"

Yeah, I guess it is true that mothers know best, but my mother doesn't know Acacia.</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;"> </pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">-------------------</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">A/N:</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">Spooky eh? Not.</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">Liz</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;"><3</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;"> </pre>