In With The New - Daddy Dearest

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">Chapter 11

As I neared the intimidating building, I began to get second thoughts. Was this really necessary? Couldn't I do this another day? What would be the result of this conversation?

I shook the pessimistic thoughts from my head and I entered the building. My dad's office was on the top floor, where all of the elites worked. I walked over to the reception and smiled at the lady. 

"Hi, Sarah."

"Oh wow!" Sarah smiled at me. "Acacia, good to see you."

"It's nice to see you too."

"My God do you look so old compared to the last time I saw you. Wasn't that only last week?" She mused. I laughed awkwardly, she commented on how old I looked every time she saw me, which was at least once a week.

"I'm here to see my dad. Can you let me up please?" 

"Well of course dear." She pressed the red button under her desk and the lift doors opened for me.

"Thanks. See you later Sarah." I gave her one last smile. Before stepping into the lift.

"Bye dear!" She hollered before the door closed. 

The lifts had all-corner mirrors, so I could only see myself no matter where I looked. It would have been awkward if somebody else was in here with me, but thankfully I was alone. I took this time to view my reflection. Did I really look that old, or did people just like to exaggerate? 

I stared at my face for a second. I knew that I was pretty but it didn't really mean that much to me. I loved my imperfections. 'It's self confidence and self respect that makes you attractive' , my dad always says. And it was one of the most truthful things I'd ever heard before in my life.

The lift dinged, signalling that I was at the top floor. I gave my reflection a reassuring smile and left the doors. 

Knocking on the transparent glass, my father's head sprung up from what he was reading. He gave me a smile and signalled for me to come in. My father and I's relationship was a complex relationship. My father treated me like we were the same age and he often forgot that I'm younger than him. When I was younger, I used to get upset because he'd treat me too formally and business like. Now, we both have the same personality, which often leads to a clash. But on several occasions, we'd both have our moments, where we would break down our hard wall of seriousness and just be friends, or actual father and daughter.

"Dad." I greeted.

"Acacia, how are things going?"

"Pretty good. I've mastered the routine that the choreographer taught me."

"Perfect," Dad smiled at me. "We're a step closer now." I gave him a weak smile and continued.

"You know, dad..." I trailed off, twiddling my fingers

"What is it?"

"Well..." I hesitated. "It's getting closer to the moment where I'll have to start making thorough decisions about my future." 

"I am aware of that, Acacia."

"And I just want to get everything right."

"Uh huh."

I mentally slapped my face. Why was I beating around the bush? I was just too nervous to say it.

"I just want to make sure that I'm making the right decision," Dad looked at me for a moment, as if he was trying to suss me out. He leaned back in his seat. "And I don't know whether I can see myself still dancing, singing or even acting in the long term." I slightly winced. I couldn't look him in the eye.

"What makes you so sure of this?"

"I like it, don't get me wrong... but I cant feel any incentive when I do it. I can't feel the passion."

Dad leaned further back and nodded his head. This was a sign, maybe I'd cracked him.

"You do realise that a lot of time, money and trouble went into this, right?" He asked me, his voice remaining calm.

"I am aware, and I'm also grateful."

"Do you also realise that a million other people would want to be in your position if they could, right?"

"I do." I knew where this conversation was going.

"Then you're going to have to wait a little while longer. Don't make any hasty decisions. You never know, your passion could come soon." He concluded. I nodded my head- I wasn't upset. After all, he hadn't said no. And when he says no, it means no. But still, I could have been angry, I could have stormed out, but I didn't, because I wasn't angry. Like I said, our relationship was complex.

"Okay, that's fine. I'll get going now. Maybe I'll see you sometime next week if you're not still at the office." I quickly got up, getting ready to leave. Suddenly, something touched my arm. I looked at it to see that it was dad's hand. I looked at him, to catch the expression that he usually tries to hide from me flit across his features. It was twisted between pain, love and pride all at once. I knew he saw my mother in me every time he looked at me, and he didn't have to tell me for me to understand.

"Acacia, everything is going to be okay, you will be alright. Trust me." His voice was softer than usual and he still held on to my arm.

"Dad, I know that," I tried to smile at him, and I felt my throat closing up and my eyes sting. Dad opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. "What is it?" I asked him.

"I... I- its just that I forget how mature you are sometimes. I'm really proud of you Acacia, I hope you know that." He said, letting go of my arm. I knew that it was hard for him to say. I could see the honesty in his brown eyes, he really was proud of me.

"I know dad, I know."</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;"> </pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">-----------------------------</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">Yay, another chapter up! This was mainly to give you an insight to the relationship between Acacia and her daddy!</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">Hope you enjoyed it,</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">Liz</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;"><3</pre>