If Loki was faking his death in Infinity War

(Not strictly SamBucky but SamBucky on a mission)

They found themselves in a dark room. There was no place to hide.

Of course.

Rhodey knew a lot about Loki. Tony being Tony refused therapy and Rhodey was the only one Tony trusted enough to talk to about his nightmares. The idea of meeting the man who caused his best friend so much pain, made Rhodey extremely furious. But he knew better than to attack a god. He'd spent enough time with Thor and hearing about the Asguardian princes that he knew he wouldn't be of much help, especially if he couldn't keep his emotions in check.

No one in that room could match up to Loki's powers but there was one person who could at least impress him enough to distract the prince. Rhodey hoped that his plan would work. He desperately wished that Dr. Strange would be there, but he wasn't and at that moment he had to make do with what he had.

Rhodey had to make sure he could force the Winter Soldier out. He knew that with Sam there, the assassin wouldn't be too hard to get back in control if things went south with him. But no one else could possibly impress the Asguardian prince. His stomach churned at the idea. He was essentially using this old and abused man, but there was no other option. He had heard about Loki from Natasha. She had been the one to figure out his plan, and Bucky was the only one equivalent of her in that room. Even though he hadn't fought as many horrifying villains as she had, he had to be enough. Loki would inevitably try to get into their heads, and Bucky's would be hardest to get in.

He just hoped that he and Sam could figure out a way to contain the prince in time. They had to.

Before there eyes could even adjust to the darkness, something sliced through the air halting Rhody's train of thoughts. It couldn't reach them though. The former assassin's hand shot up as he caught the knife's hilt.

It wasn't enough.

There were more, too many for Bucky to catch.

Sam spread his wings out, shielding everyone as Bucky tried his best to grab as many as he could.

"I WAS PROMISED THE AVENGERS. NOT SOME RANDOM MIDGUARDIANS."

A voice screamed out.

That was enough for Bucky to throw the knife. A small grunt could be heard. Sam could see a heat signature, but he didn't know how to approach it. He didn't have to. His partner picked up more of the knives and began throwing them.

"Bucky what are-" Sam began.

"Pinning him to a place." Bucky cut him off.

"I like this one!"

A man had suddenly appeared right in front of Bucky's face. The winter soldier didn't hesitate before grabbing the Asguardian's throat and shoving him against the nearest wall. It only made the man smile slyly. The others stared in awe as everything happened faster than they could comprehend.

"Bucky!" Sam called out as a figure appeared behind Bucky with another knife, attempting to stab him.

The attempt didn't bare any fruit as Bucky's fast reflexes saved him. The prince seemed to have several forms, all attacking Bucky at once but never bothering anyone else. Almost as if he was playing with the man.

Rhodey's plan worked. Now he had to figure out the real one and put him in a container. So easy. How the hell did Tony deal with these things, no wonder he had so many issues.

Sam knew the plan and he hated it, but he didn't have a better one to counter it. If what he had heard from Steve and Nat was right, Loki was a huge show off. He wouldn't use his magical powers if he didn't think they were a big enough threat. Which it seems like he didn't. He was focused on Bucky, trying to get the better of him. Like that would happen. Sam scoffed. It would take magic or whatever the spider kid's web was made of to actually restrain and defeat the century old man. He moved too fast for brute force to kill him.