DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

Chapter 28: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Flynn was already by her side clutching his beloved, so close to him I was sure they would merge into one. Even though I couldn't hear what they we're saying to each other I had no doubts they were the most endearing words that poets only wished they could imitate.

I still stood by the door unable to grasp how much relief I was feeling as I watched Flynn let go of Kathryn only to kiss her so passionately, to which she returned without fail. I smiled, as I committed every detail to memory...in case it would be my last memory of them together.

I didn't take notice of Ratchet who had trailed behind to secure the perimeter as he too watched with a smile. Eventually he came beside me, gaining my attention.

"They really do love each other, don't they?" He asked, keeping his voice low, so's not to disturb the romantic reunion.

"Yes." I answered. " No matter what they've been through together or how much they are apart their love has withstood it all and always will."

I could feel Ratchet's eyes on me and like a silly girl with a classic crush for their friend, I looked.

His eyes and smile were just warm as they had ever been, but knowing they were laced with a recognizable growing affection for me it was hard to resist mirroring his expression back to him.

It was then I knew Flynn was right.

My selfishness did bring heartache and pain to my loved ones, but it also brought me to Ratchet. The one who has stood by my side no matter whatever crazy stunt I pulled, how much I resisted his help, or how long I kept my identity from him, Ratchet never turned away. He accepted my flaws and saw someone worth while. And I him. But what could i do? My time was almost up, not unless I asked Kathryn and Flynn to stay behind and live in exile with me. But how could I ask something so unbelievably selfish of my two best friends? The answer was simple...I wouldn't. Even sending them back with Samus was out of the question. I was many things but a coward wasn't one of them.

Even if he too were to become angry, let alone his affection would turn into distrust or hatred. I knew I had to tell Ratchet before things became more involved. I owed him so much more, but the least I could do was tell him that our days together were numbered.

By now Ratchet had definitely noticed how saddened I had become thinking of the inevitable, but before he could ask why I was frowning on what should've been a sweet moment, Kathryn had called my name. I shot him a lopsided smile hoping it would dissipate any concerns. But knowing Ratchet he would bring it up later when the time was right. And I would be ready to inevitably break his heart.

I looked over at Kathryn who had her arms open wide, within seconds I'm embracing her as tears shed from my eyes. She swiftly had returned my embrace as we both fell to our knees out of relief of seeing each other again. Nothing was said between us, but in honesty nothing needed to be. This moment was more than enough, words would wait.

We let go of each other, but I kept my hand on her shoulder as I turned to Ratchet who's expression was tender , but once I nodded my head to beckon him towards us he became hesitant as his ears lowered a small fraction. He still locked eyes at Kat, who was looking at him with the most curious expression, trying to decide whether or not he should meet her. Once she offered a smile at him, it was the convincing he needed. With a meek smile of his own he walked over. As we stood to meet I began to introduce him in our native tongue.

"There's someone I want you to meet." I said. "This is Ratchet. He alongside these two-" nodding towards Clank and Angela "-and many more have been helping me find you and Flynn."