🔱XVII🌊

• Scars •

WAVES were all Koda could hear in her ears

WAVES were all Koda could hear in her ears. But when her eyes finally fluttered open she wasn't on a beach or anywhere near the ocean. She was back in the Havoc Marauder and all she could smell was Hunter. She didn't need heightened senses to breathe in the intoxicating scent of whiskey and leather with hints of lavender and almost a smell of spices. She knew exactly where she was just based on the scent, Hunter's bed. She sat up and the memories of the events prior came rushing back to her. She could see the flames that chased her skin, she could feel their heat engulf her, and worst of all she could hear herself screaming in pain at the sting of pure fire pierced her skin. She lifted her fingers to her face and she inhaled sharply when she felt the smooth texture of her skin replaced with the feel of leathery burnt flesh. She used her abilities to pull water out of thin air and with a wave of her hand she froze it into a sheet, the perfect mirror. She looked down at her mirror and what she saw made her whimper a soft cry as tears filled her eyes. Staring back at herself was not the reflection she had known all her life. She had burns all over her face, her skin was scared and wrinkled. Red gashes of seared skin covered her forehead and cheeks. Even patches of her hair had been seared off by the flames. She started sobbing, allowing the mirror to melt for she did not want to look at herself anymore. She was so distraught she didn't even hear the sound of doors swooshing open and someone entering the room with her. "Koda?" Hunter's voice filled her ears but she refused to face him. "Koda?" He called again but she wouldn't look at him still. "I heard you wake up. How are you feeling?" He asked as he gently sat next to her but Koda refused to look up at him, her eyes fixated on her hands in her lap. "Look at me." He requested. "No." Koda snapped. "Yes." He said again, "Look at me." "No!" Koda snapped but Hunter didn't give her much of a choice as her gently wrapped his fingers around her chin and tilted her head up to look at him and the tears began to roll down her cheeks, stinging each burn mark that they licked on the way. "Hunter please." She huffed. "Don't look at me." She begged but Hunter refused to let her go. "Why not?" He asked. "Because." Her eyes drifted away from his, vision cloudy from the tears she had shed. "I'm ugly." She said flatly. "Why do you think that?" Hunter asked but Koda didn't reply she just let out a shaky breath. "Is it because of your burns?" He continued to ask her but once again she didn't answer she just sniffled as the tears continued to fall. "I don't care about those." Hunter replied as his hand moved to cup her cheek and he brought her face closer to his gently. He pressed his lips to the burn on her cheek, he was gentle with her and doing everything he could not to hurt her. The kiss caused Koda to flinch, but not in pain, her body jolted from the shock that Hunter would kiss her so sweetly and tenderly. He moved to press his lips to the burn on her other cheek, the contact giving Koda a slight stinging sensation. He kissed another burn on her forehead, then her nose. And finally Koda looked up at him, their eyes met. There was some sort of unspoken exchange between them and they both understood. Hunter gently used his hand on the side of her face to pull her closer to him and his lips finally met hers. Finally, the sobs and the pain for Koda stopped. Her search for family stopped. The sting of the burns stopped. She melted against Hunter, softening in to his grasp and he held her gently as if she were a glass that might break with the wrong move. Finally he pulled back, but he used his thumb to wipe away the tears that stained her face and Koda sniffed as he did so. "I don't care about your burns." Hunter said softly. "You complete me either way."

"Koda," Hunter began after simply holding her in silence for several minutes, being careful not to touch her burns. "Why didn't you tell me you were related to the king?" Upon the realization back on Bespin he began to fathom just how much the loss hurt her. Knowing that she was related to the first person killed on Statera by the Empire only made the sympathy within him grow. "You didn't ask." She replied. "And I left behind being royalty long ago." "Why?" Hunter asked curiously. "That woman on Bespin called you Dakoda Fysalides, but that's not the name you go by. Why not?" Koda sighed. Hunter and the rest of the Bad Batch had always known her as Koda Okato, not Dakoda Fysalides. "Okato was my middle name." She began explaining to him. "Growing up I was never the perfect royal. I got into fights, brushed off my responsibilities, and even put my powers before anything else. I decided I wanted to form my own path, one where I could my gifts for something greater. So I dropped my family name, went by Koda instead of Dakoda, and trained to become the captain of the Royal Guard of Statera." There was a silence that hung in the air between the two. Finally Hunter lifted his hand to brush a stray lock of hazel colored hair out of Koda's face, tucking it gently behind her ear. "No more secrets." Hunter breathed. "You can trust me with anything." He replied and Koda nodded. "Thank you." Hunter leaned over and pressed a soft kiss to her forehead just on the edge of a burn scar. "I have to return to the boys. If you need anything though, don't hesitate. We're your family, Koda, we want to take care of you." The elemental looked up at him as he stood and offered him a small smile. "Thank you Hunter." The clone only smiled down at her before leaving to return to his brothers.