Move-In Day 3

Today was the big day. The rest of the hall was moving in.

Hongjoong had settled on a black tee with a light-wash denim jacket and his hand-painted jeans. He accessorized with a subtle chain necklace and his clear-rimmed glasses, plus a few rings on his hands. He wanted to make a good impression.

Although at the moment he was deeply regretting his choices.

He was helping two tall boys haul a giant futon up the staircase and it was about 90 degrees.

Needless to say, he was sweating profusely.

To make matters worse, Seonghwa had opted to wear a black cut-off and ankle-length skinny jeans, leaving him cool as a cucumber. But Hongjoong persisted, determined to prove he could be useful and fashionable at the same time.

Finally they got it into the room and he let them do the unloading on their own, after learning their names were Yunho and Mingi.

As he walked away he had the realization that they probably didn't even need his help, as they were both totally capable of hauling it on their own. If Mingi hadn't just walked behind "making sure they didn't bump it on anything." He scoffed and wiped a bead of sweat off of his forehead.

He almost ran into Seonghwa as he exited the stairwell with two huge bags swung over his back. Seonghwa raised a hand to brush his hair back and nodded at Hongjoong, continuing down the hallway.

Hongjoong felt his ears heating up at the action, but shook his head, forcing the thought down. But damn. Anyone who'd witnessed it would admit it was pretty hot.

Finally they'd unloaded everything for the last student and Hongjoong returned to his room and collapsed on his bed, exhausted.

Now that he was in the privacy of his dorm room he removed his coat and fanned himself with his t-shirt. At least he'd pushed his hair back for the day with a headband or it would be stuck to his face.

Just then he heard a knock on the door and groaned. He was not about to put that sweltering jacket back on.

He stood up and checked through the peephole to see it was just Seonghwa and opened the door, resting his arm on the frame.

Seonghwa stood there staring at him for a moment before talking, and Hongjoong felt a bit better seeing a mild redness on Seonghwa's face. The heat must have gotten to him too.

Little did he know he'd just caught Seonghwa off-guard with his impressive figure, now visible without the denim jacket.

"Hi—sorry for bothering you—I just wanted to talk about the new freshmen if that's okay?"

"Yeah, sure. Come on in," Hongjoong sighed, mildly annoyed. Talk about the new freshmen? What was there to talk about? They all seemed pretty chill. Not that he knew them very well yet anyways, so why did Seonghwa need to talk about them?

Seonghwa sat on the floor again and Hongjoong returned to his bed.

"So I don't know what your policy is on this but I definitely carried in a few boxes with bongs on the bottom, visible through a clear bin."

Hongjoong sat up, not expecting this conversation.

"Oh. Well I mean did you ask them about it?"

"Well, no. It's not really my business yet and I didn't want to make a bad impression. But I'm just concerned for the peace on the floor. It's definitely not legal and definitely poses a problem for the future."

Hongjoong thought for a moment before answering.

"Well we sent out the email about a no-drug policy so they are definitely aware of that. But I'm not sure there's anything we can do if we don't actively see them using."

"Well the RA training told us that if we see it we have to report it and the student is liable to get in serious trouble, possibly even expelled. So, do we report it?"

"Woah, that's a bit harsh just for spotting it in their poorly packed luggage, don't you think? You didn't actually see any weed or see them using it did you? We can't be certain they'll actually use it or not so there's technically no need to report anyone! You know the rules are there to protect people but you don't have to be so cruel," Hongjoong snapped, sensing the dreaded power-hungry rise of Seonghwa.

With how overbearing and nitpicky he was as a roommate, Hongjoong knew he was going to have to stick up for the underclassmen. It's not like he didn't have a little fun his freshmen year. But he was certain Seonghwa was rigid as a board.

"Woah, okay that was uncalled for. I'm not here to be cruel. I didn't say I was going to report them I just figured I'd confer with you. I thought we were supposed to be a united front? You really think I'd get kids expelled just for owning a bong? God. It's like you think I don't have one too," snorted Seonghwa, moving to stand. Hongjoong was floored.

"Wait, you own what!?" Hongjoong cried.

Seonghwa looked back at him with an eyeroll.

"You don't?"

"No!?"

"And yet you think I'm the goody-two shoes. You see those of us that have real majors need to take the edge off every once in a while. I guess you wouldn't understand since all you do is play around on the piano," Seonghwa spat, getting ready to leave.

Now Hongjoong was riled up.

"Excuse me!?"

"You heard me. Anyone could do a music major if they wanted to just throw their lives away but those of us with actual careers in mind do real work. What's your homework assignment, playing hot cross buns?"

"Fuck you. Business majors have some of the easiest course loads on campus so don't pretend you're doing hard work. And if I wanted to throw my life away I'd go be a business major and live the rest of my life in a monotonous and unfulfilling shithole of a career."

"At least I'll actually make something of myself," retorted Seonghwa.

Hongjoong took a deep breath, trying not to let him get to his head. At this point he was sure their neighbors were hearing everything and he was trying his best not to make their drama a problem on the floor.

"Why don't you just go back to your room and let me be? I don't think our argument is helping anyone."

"So you admit I'm right?" Seonghwa chided, boiling Hongjoong's blood.

"Go, please," he said with as much sweetness as he could muster.

Seonghwa smiled and left, feeling horrible inside.