Everything was going to be okay

Seonghwa's head spun.

His mother? She called them? How did she know—

Hongjoong.

The officer helped him reach a standing position and started to ask him about his injuries but his brain was still processing her former statement.

She said she was your mother.

She had helped them. She'd saved them. And so had Hongjoong.

As he tried to explain what had happened to him he heard another set of footsteps, but these weren't heavy boots like before. They were lighter but much faster.

They stopped as she reached the top floor.

His mother.

He locked eyes with her and he felt them starting to water.

"Eomma," he cried, tears spilling down his cheeks and she ran to him, pulling him into a tight hug. It hurt his chest but he didn't care. It was his mom.

He was enveloped in her scent, bringing back years of memories. He felt her familiar hands stroking his back, gripping him as if to show she never wanted to let him go again.

He cried into her sweater as she held him and everything finally started to feel alright.

They would be okay.

It was over.

He pulled back, the excruciating pain of his collarbone finally catching up with him. His mom eyed him worriedly, and he tried to laugh to brush it off.

"Where did he hurt you? I shouldn't have squeezed you so tight it's just—you're my baby and I had to—I'm so sorry," she cried, still trying to maintain her composure.

"It's okay. I'm just glad you're back."

"I'm never leaving again. I promise you. I swear, Seonghwa. I won't ever leave you behind."

"I trust you."

She went to hug him again but the officer cleared her throat, reminding them of her presence and his injuries.

"I should take him to the hospital as well. It doesn't seem life-threatening but he might need surgery."

His mom looked back at him with tears in her eyes but nodded, walking him down to the second ambulance that had pulled up. As he stepped inside he saw his mother hanging back, not sure if she was welcome to come with.

"You can ride with me. Please—come with."

She tried to wipe away her tears as more began flowing down her face and got into the ambulance as it took off towards the hospital.

He held his mother's hand all the way to the ER and only released it when the EMT's guided him to a private room to meet with a few doctors.

They stitched up the gash on his forehead and determined he had a minor concussion. His left wrist had a small fracture so they placed it in a cast, which they then placed in a sling to heal his broken collarbone.

Once all the doctors had left, he was alone in the room. He sat up in bed and looked out the window at the street down below. He watched as cars drove past. He realized he'd never turned his engine off and hoped one of the officers had been kind enough to do so. He hoped they'd at least closed his door.

Just then the door to his room opened slowly and he heard his mother's voice.

"Seonghwa? Is it alright if I come in?"

"Of course," he smiled softly and she entered. Her face was no longer wet but her eyes were still red from crying.

"How's my brother?"

"He's alright. He's going to be okay."

"Nothing serious?"

"He's going to need crutches," she muttered and Seonghwa grimaced. He was probably laying on the floor because he couldn't get up. He shook the image out of his head.

"But he'll heal alright?"

"Yeah," she smiled and stroked Seonghwa's hair behind his ear.

She looked down at him for a while and he could tell she had something more to say.

"What is it?" he asked and she smiled at him.

"You've always been so good at reading others."

"I got it from you," he smiled back and she looked back at the door.

"There's someone else who came with me. And I think he's really worried about you. Is it alright if I give you two some time?"

Seonghwa's heart tightened. Hongjoong.

He nodded and she gave him a kiss on the forehead before returning to the door. As she opened it, Seonghwa could tell Hongjoong was on the other side, hidden from view.

She relayed his response and stepped out, the door almost closing behind her. It had been stopped by a small, familiar hand.

Hongjoong stepped into the room cautiously, not making eye contact with Seonghwa. But inevitably, their eyes met and Hongjoong melted.

He rushed to Seonghwa's side and started waving his hands about frantically.

"What's hurt? Are you okay? How bad is it? You're going to be okay, right? I'm sorry they didn't get there sooner! I should have called right away but I was so shocked and I didn't know how to help and—"

Seonghwa leaned forward with his good arm and drew Hongjoong into a kiss, his fingers playing with the hairs on the back of his neck.

Hongjoong was immersed for a moment before quickly pulling back. Seonghwa felt his heart sink.

"You didn't let me finish! I owe you an apology! If I had called your mom sooner then you wouldn't have gotten hurt and I shouldn't have just let you go! I should have stopped you—"

Seonghwa laughed and pushed their lips together again and Hongjoong didn't resist this time. Their lips moved together for a few minutes, finding each other and setting a rhythm. Seonghwa's tongue danced lightly over Hongjoong's but didn't push any further. As the kiss slowed, Seonghwa held Hongjoong's cheek in his palm and thumbed away his tears.

"You saved me."

Hongjoong smiled a soft smile.

"I'm sorry about running away last time. I know how hard you worked to find her and bring her back and I want you to know I'm so grateful. Thank you for finding my mom."

"Of course. You know, it was kind of fun. I felt like a detective or something," grinned Hongjoong and Seonghwa let out a chuckle.

"I'm sorry I've been so shitty to you. All you've ever been is kind," said Seonghwa, looking away. "You deserve so much better than me."

Hongjoong gripped Seonghwa's jaw and pulled him back, brushing a loose bang out of his eyes.

"Don't say that. Stop saying you're the only one who wasn't good. I was just as horrible to you as you were to me. And we've realized our mistakes and gotten better for it. And now, we're here."

Seonghwa felt another tear roll down his cheek.

"I love you."

Hongjoong blushed and Seonghwa almost laughed. It was such a natural reaction but he hadn't ever seen Hongjoong's face get that hot before. It was very endearing.

"I love you, too."

They pulled together again but instead of a kiss, Hongjoong wrapped his arms around Seonghwa and laid his head on his shoulder.

"You know, I reached out to KQ. I'm going to audition in two weeks."

Seonghwa started and looked Hongjoong in the eyes excitedly.

"Wait—really? You're going to do it!?"

"Yeah." Hongjoong smiled and Seonghwa couldn't help but smile with him.

Hongjoong pulled up a chair next to the bed and slipped his hand into Seonghwa's. He rested his head on Seonghwa's shoulder and Seonghwa set his head on top.

They soon fell asleep, knowing everything was going to be okay.