Chapter 41: Friends For Life Part 1!

Toklo's POV: 
       I was running as fast as I could. I didn't know where I was going at first, all I knew was that my friend was endanger and I had to find her as soon as possible. But then I could smell blood, like a lot of blood. My heart pounded in my chest. The smell became almost overwhelming. I really hope it's Salik's blood, and not Kallik's. I swear if she's dead or near death, I will murder Salik myself. Lusa was jumping from tree to tree. She's a black bear, and is faster with tree's. I heard a struggle. Fighting. The smell of blood became stronger and stronger. I didn't hear a struggle anymore. A few moments later, I could hear footsteps. I stopped once I saw white fur. She stepped a little closer and then she stopped. It was Kallik! She's alive! Lusa umped down and landed next to me. Lusa was grinning. Happy to see that she was okay. She had a whole lot of blood on her fur, but I don't think it's all her. She did have a lot of scratches, though. Some bite marks too.
        Kallik's legs wobbled, before she collapsed. I immediately ran over to her. Her eyes were closed. "Kallik!" Lusa called. She ran over too. Tears in her eyes. "Kallik? Can you hear me?" I asked. "Is she?" Lusa asked and I shook my head. "No, she's alive." I replied. Lusa sighed in relief. "Herbs!" I called. "What?" Lusa asked. It's obvious that she's in distress. She's having trouble focusing, to think of anything that's not Kallik bleeding out in front of us. "Lusa, I need you to focus. Get herbs, Kallik's life depends on it." I replied. Lusa nodded and ran off to where known herbs grew. I sat down next to Kallik, to keep her company. I'm not a sentimental type. The heartfelt type. I'm not good at this. I got a little better over the years, but I'm still not on Lusa's level of kindness. All I could do was be here for Kallik when she wakes up. 

Lusa's POV: 
         I ran to where Herbs would grow. Thanks to Ujurak's teaching, I know where to look and it didn't take long to find them. Kallik has to be okay. She just has to be. She has Yakone and her four cubs. She has me and Toklo. She's a fighter. A survivor. She will fight until her last breath. That gives her a chance. I looked at all the herbs. I had to make sure I grabbed the right ones. Toklo's voice rang in my ears. 'Kallik's life depends on it.' I took a deep breathe and focused. I remembered everything Ujurak had taught me. It was so long ago, but feels like it just happened. My mind was cleared. My friends on the forefront of my mind. After closing my mind and truly calmed down, I opened them back and knew which ones Kallik needs. I quickly picked some up and ran back to my friends. 
        I returned to them. I dropped the herbs next to Kallik and and smashed most of the herbs together before smearing them on her wounds. "Will this help her?" Toklo asked. "Yes. Smearing them on any wound would heal them, but it won't happen overnight. She'll keep having to use the same herbs for a short while, until it completely heals." I replied and he nodded. "Do they have them on Star Island?" Toklo asked and I sighed. "I don't know. It's been a long time since I've been there, but I have a feeling no." I replied. "What then?" Toklo asked. "I guess she'll either have to bring some, thought that may prove difficult. I hate to have to say it, but she may have to stay here a little to make sure she's fully healed before the long journey home." I explained. "Then so will we." Toklo agreed and I nodded. "It will be nice for all of us to stay together a little while longer." I agreed. "Yeah, it will." Toklo agreed. There was a moment of silence. I showed him the last herb that I have. "This herb is for the pain, so she'll need to ingest it." I told him. "On it." Toklo agreed and he began to wake her up. "She's not waking up? Why is she not waking up?" I asked. I was petrified. Is she? Could she be? 

Kallik's POV: 
         I coughed. Everything is black. I can't see. But I'm awake. I'm just too exhausted to open my eyelids or to speak. I breathed in deeper. Everything was sore. Every limb in my bruised and scratched up body ached in pain. My eyes stopped ringing and I could hear my friends. "Kallik, wake up." Toklo commented. "Please, wake up." Lusa pleaded. I could hear her voice, and it was obvious she was crying. "Kallik. Kallik." Ujurak's voice rang in my mind. I had to fight. For my friends. For my family. I used every energy I possessed to open my eyelids. Lusa grinned and Toklo was trying to hide a smile as well. I could tell he was relieved, and had tried to hide his fear for Lusa's sake. Because that's who he is. "Hi. What did I miss?" I asked. Lusa and Toklo both laughed. "A lot." Toklo replied. "Are you in any pain?" Lusa asked. "Just.... So much that I feel like passing out again." I replied in a small chuckle. But instantly regretted that because it hurt my sides. "Chew this. It will help numb the pain." Lusa told me. If Lusa said that, then I know it's true. She knows her herbs. She learned from the best. She learned from Ujurak. I ate them and and ignored the foul taste. It wasn't worse then the pain that I felt, so it was worth it. "How do you feel, Kallik?" Toklo asked. "Not as bad. So I think it's kicking in." I replied. "Can you get up?" Toklo asked. "I think so." I replied. I slowly stood up, with Toklo and Lusa on either side of me, to keep me upright. "How are you doing?" Lusa asked. "I'm fine, Lusa. Really. I can manage." I replied. "You and Toklo are the most stubborn bears I have ever met." Lusa commented. "Hey! I take offense to that!" Toklo and I exclaimed in unison. We looked at one another and then all three of us burst into laughter. Then we all nuzzled one another. So happy to be with one another.