30: Na corrida part 2

Na corrida; on the run

_____________

"Now I can see why you wanted to come here. I feel safer already," Klaus said with his mother trucker hat on. We had just walked in a bar that I went to with Hayley on our way to New Orleans. She and I spent a week here and got to learn about the pack among other things.  "We're closed," a guy said from behind the bar.

"You don't look closed," Klaus said as I set Hope's car seat on a chair. "We are for you," the guy said. "Well, perhaps you failed to notice the hat," Klaus said. "I'll take a bourbon unless Hollis is still serving that moonshine of his," I said. "I'll be damned. I got this," Hollis said, excusing the rude guy. "It's been three long years since you danced on my bar, Cameron," Hollis said, shaking my hand. "It's been a long time since I danced on any bar. I get into a different kind of trouble these days. Hollis, meet Hope," I told him.

"Aw, look at her," He said looking over the table. He got a glance at the ring on my finger and glanced at Klaus. This was just to keep up the act but I'm sure he won't let me take it off afterward. "A city boy, huh. Wouldn't have guessed that," Hollis said looking at my ring.

"Never underestimate the allure of indoor plumbing," Klaus said, taking his hat off. "Hollis, this is Klaus. He's my... uh, my daughter's father. Amongst other things-- anyway, it's a long story. We just need a place to lay low," I said. "You picked a pretty rough time. Lot of folks are giving up on the pack altogether. Well, for the reigning, dart-throwing, tequila-shooting champ of Willoughby Lake, I just wish there were a few more people here to give you a proper welcome. Hey, you guys settle in,  I'll pour the moonshine. Baby drinks for free as long as you tell me what happened to your partner in crime, Hayley," Hollis said as he poured the drinks.

"She's back home. Defending the fort," I said. "Girl always was a fighter," he chuckled. Once Hollis left I drank the "moonshine." "I'm quite sure this glass hasn't been washed in the past decade, which makes it the cleanest thing in this establishment," Klaus complained. He's been complaining all day. "I should be the one complaining. You dragged us out here and you did it while I was unconscious. Was this mark really necessary," I asked. Klaus pushed my hair back and added pressure on it.

"It's a peculiar thing. All I have to do is touch it... and you bend at my will. I have to say, it's extraordinarily better than compulsion," He said, pushing and massaging it. The glass in my hand shattered due to the pressure I was putting on it to hold back any noises wanting to escape. He finally stopped when Hollis looked back over here.

"Cam. If you're trying to be discreet you can start by turning down the volume on the lover's spat," Hollis said with a foul mood compared to earlier. "Is everything okay," I squeaked out. "Someone tried to rob the Gas n' Save down by the highway. Kayla was there. I heard it went bad for the bad guy," Hollis said. "Kayla McInnis," I asked. "Her first," he said.

"Wait, isn't she, like, eleven years old," I asked. "Fifteen."

"Where is she?"

"The cops let her go home. Little trailer down by the creek." 

I pulled back in my seat to check on the girl I met three years ago. "Where do you think you're going," Klaus said. "I don't remember when I triggered my curse. Or any time I've turned. But from what I've heard it's pretty damn painful. Now Kayla is going through the same thing--"

"And that's your problem," he asked. "Hayley and I watched over Kayla in the little time we were here. Especially when his mom was drinking. If ever she needed someone to talk to, it's now," I said. "In case you've forgotten, we're supposed to be keeping a low profile. It's hardly the time to go play youth counselor to a bunch of misguided wolves."

"It's just down the road--"

"No, I need you right next to me. In fact, I think this little experiment is over. I hope you've enjoyed your trip down memory lane while you were without me. But my life, your life, our daughter's life, takes precedence. From now on, we do things my way," Klaus said. He gathered his things and left with Hope.

I finished my drink and went after him. He was strapping Hope into the seat when I got out there. "There's a scared kid out there and I can't just turn my back on her," I said. "And tragic as that may be, it's not my problem, neither is it yours. Get in the car. We're leaving," he closed the door and turned away from me. I spent time on the other side before he could get into the car.

"We're not going anywhere," I said, folding my arms. "And I suppose you're going to stop me.  Perhaps you'll get Cletus and your other foul-smelling friends to help," Klaus smirked. "Those friends of mine are helping us, Klaus. No questions asked. Despite the fact that they have problems of their own and all you have done is insult them. Maybe if you hadn't been a dick to everybody, we wouldn't be on the run," I said.

"I have always done what I needed to do to protect our family from numerous enemies. I make no apologies for my methods," Klaus said. "Do you even hear yourself, Klaus?  You can justify it all you want with strategy and us versus them, but at the end of the day, the enemies that you are are the ones that you made," I said. I knew I'd regret this. "Is that what you want for your daughter? Is that how you want her to see the world," I asked.

I received no answer. There is a very good chance that our daughter will be dealing with the same thing that Kayla is dealing with. And if that day comes, I hope that someone makes it their business to help her too," I said. I walked closer to him and held his hand.

"Being kind doesn't make you weak, Klaus," I kissed his cheek and left to find Kayla.

...

It was nighttime by the time I found Kayla. I took her through their pack tradition since there weren't a lot of pack members anymore.  Although I didn't have any tradition of my own, it felt good to walk her through it. Like she was my own.

"Where's Hope," I asked Klaus. "With Hollis. You trust him, I trust you, Baby steps, as it were. Seems I owe you an apology, princess. I have given you 1,000 reasons to abandon me. You haven't, yet. So, thank you... for my sake and for our daughter's. Perhaps you're right. Perhaps it is time to start living not by my decisions, not by yours, but by what we together decide. Partners and intimates... for ourselves and Hope," Klaus said as he came to sit next to me on the log.

"It's funny. We've been together for almost four years and we still have milestones like these," I said resting my head on his shoulder. I looked up at him and he seemed distracted by something ahead of us. "What is it," I asked, picking up my head.  He got up and walked towards the tree Kayla was at.

"This was no random attack. These wolves aren't just disappearing. They're being hunted," he said. He got his phone and called Elijah.

Lucien.

_____________

1300 words.