51: Meu Trabalho

Meu Trabalho; My job

_______________

"Just when I thought he was showing the vaguest signs of maturity, our brother makes a unilateral decision that leaves the rest of us stewing in his melodrama," Kol complained. "His death is not a melodrama," Rebekah said. "He's spiraling. This energy feeds on anger and our brother-- as we know-- has enough to set the world on fire," Elijah said chaining him up. I helped him with it.

I had to fake the whole ritual. Fake the stake. Fake the dark veins on his wrist.

"How many times are we going to play this game? Right, calamity and doom approach our brother, and then, all of a sudden, a trapdoor appears, and, poof, he escapes. He's a cockroach that will outlive us all. And we're immortal," Kol said.  I scoffed. "And what if it's different this time? What did he figure out a way to end it all," Rebekah questioned.

"I don't think he would notice or care that I wasn't there to witness it. Now, if you'll excuse me. I'm going home," Kol left. "He'll be back," Elijah said. "Will he," Rebekah asked and left after him. "Doesn't matter. He's died and escaped death so many times, it's all a joke to him," I said and Elijah left after that.

I felt the hallucinations roll in so I left as well and went to bed. I can fight them off with sleep.

...

I shuffled in bed and turned towards the door to see Freya. She was looking at my wrist with teary eyes. I pulled my sleeve down and cleared my throat. "How long," she asked me. "Tonight," I said simply. "So you just faked Klaus's conditions and tried to hide your own. Were you going to tell anybody," Freya said, sounding upset. "I told Caroline," I shrugged. "But you can't tell anybody. You tell nobody, Freya."

"Oh, my Gawd. I know I can't talk you out of this. But you have to tell Hope. You have to tell Klaus--"

"No. You know he won't let me do it. I don't know who to say goodbye to. Freya just leaves it alone," I said, getting out of bed. When I approached the door Nick opened it. "Mom, can I go next door to play with Lucas," he asked. "Uh, how about you play with me," I said. "Mom I have all week to play with you," he huffed. "Well, you'll get to stay over tonight, hmm. Play with me now," I asked.

"Once in a lifetime offer. We can make chicken strips and french fries," I suggested. He nodded. "I'm going to spend the day with my son, Freya. I just want that," I told her and left.

...

Nick and I ended up making dinner for everybody and Hope even helped. We served dinner for the whole family. And I wore a spectacular dress to die in. Nobody really questioned my random dress. Laughs and giggles filled the dinner table as we reminisced on past memories. Everybody had milkshakes and chicken and french fries.

I held Klaus's hands and watched the happy table. "Alright. It's time for an old-fashioned wish-burning ceremony," Rebekah said. We all got up and wrote down wishes then burned them in the bonfire. By this time I took off the effects, my fake magic gave Klaus.

"You know, as much as I've savored the joy of tormenting you throughout the years, I must confess you all mean everything to me. Your loyalty and your counsel and your love... is probably the only reason why I've survived as long as I have. Which is how I know... long after I'm gone... you will all come together, time and time again, to take care of each other. And that is why I'm not afraid for your future," Klaus said looking at Hope, Nick, and I.

Shit, it's getting to me.

"We're bound together to whom of those we share blood. And while we may not choose our family...that bond is our greatest strength," Elijah added. "Though I may be leaving you tonight... This is not the end of the Mikaelsons. Always and forever," Klaus said. "Always and forever," we all said. "I-I need a moment," Klaus said and he took his children with him.

"There's something else we need to discuss..." I explained to them what was really going on with me. I feel that it was time so I left before Klaus could come back. There was only one place I found that was right. I took out the knife I made a decade ago. The same knife that was used to engrave Hayley's name in the Bayou. My secret project.

I sat on the very bench where Klaus threw me in the car when he first found out I was pregnant. Suddenly everything over the past two decades came rushing back all at once. "Cameron," I heard someone yell. I stood up and looked in the distance. Klaus. I turned away from him and pointed the knife to my heart. "Here I come, Hayley," I said before driving it into my heart. Before I could fall to the ground I felt him fall with me, holding my body. He immediately took the knife out of my heart. "No. No. No," Klaus cried, wiping away the blood. "I hate to get blood on this dress," I laughed.

"Y-You lent my rant always and forever and here you are l-leaving me," Klaus cried. He tried to give me his blood but I didn't take it. "Klaus, stop! I'm a New Orleans witch. Consecrate me. I have to lock the Hollow back in with the Ancestors. I have to do it."

"No. No! No," he yelled against my body. "Please don't cry. No tears for m-me. None," I begged. "I don't deserve the love you've given me, princess. Please don't leave me," Klaus cried. "Gawd, you're making this harder than it has to be," I whispered. I felt my heart slow down and my eyes drop. I hear Klaus sob. "It's been my greatest honor to have you."

Everything is fading.

"To have your children."

I can't feel-- oh no.

"I love y--"

_______________

1037 words