Chapter One

“Sofia,”  Maxwell  called,  his  voice  a  caress.

“Yeah?”  

My  lips  parted  and  then  curved  into  a  smile.  I  liked  the  way  he  called  my  name.

“I  like  you,”  he  said  taking  my  hands  in  his.

Oh!  How  I  had  longed  for  those  words. I  smiled  at  him  shyly, my  pulse  racing. 

Benjamin had  once  told  me  that  Maxwell  liked  me,  but  I  had  not  believed  him.  Maxwell had  been seeing  Alicia  then. 

"I'd  like  to  tell  you  something,"  Benjamin  had  said  the  moment  I entered the  compound  of  his home.

It was Jamhuri and I had been invited by Maxwell's foster parents to have lunch with them since my mother had gone to work.

"Okay,  tell  me,”  I had  said  to  Benjamin.

"My brother  likes  you,"  he had  whispered.

"I  don't  believe  you.  When  did  you  come  up  with  that  joke?"

"I'm  serious."

"No,  you're  not.  Tell  me  something  else.  And  stop  kidding,  Ben."

"It's  not  a  joke,"  he'd  insisted.

"Okay.  Did  he  ask  you  to  tell  me  that?"
                                                                        "No, but-"

"But nothing. This means he doesn't feel that way.  You  only  imagined."

"I  didn't.  He  once  told  me  so  himself.  He confided  in  me.  I  just  came  to  tell  you  because  he  hasn't  done  what  needs  to  be  done."

"You  do  realise  that  it's  his  call,  right?"

"Yeah, but  I  don't  want  him  to  lose  you  to  someone  else  while  he  takes  his  time.  You're  good  for  him.  If  he  hadn't  confessed  his  feelings  to  me,  I  would  have  courted  you  myself."

"Well  then,  there’s  nothing  we  can  do.  We'll  just  have  to  wait  until  he  decides  to  approach  me.  Let's  pretend  we  didn't  have  this  conversation,  okay?"

"Okay,"  he  had  agreed  before  we’d  both  joined  his parents at the table.

Well,  hearing  the  same  words  from  Maxwell  was  still  surprising.  I  had  not  believed  Benjamin  back  then.  I  had  thought  that  he  had  been  mistaken,  but  clearly  he  had  not.
                                                                      "Sofia?"

Maxwell's  voice  brought  me  back  to  the  present.

“I  like  you  too,”  I  said  squeezing  his  hands.

“You  don’t  know  how  glad  I  am  to  hear  that.” 

His  knuckles  brushed  across  my  cheek,  the  light  touch   making  me  shiver. Desire  pulsed  through  me. Whatever  feelings  that  were  buried  underneath  us  surfaced. 

His  breath  came  out  in  a  shudder  as  his  head  dipped  and  his  hands  brought  my  face  closer  to  his.  His  lips  touched  mine  in  my  first  and  most  amazing  kiss. 

A  whimper  caught  in  my  throat.  I  let  out  a  sigh  of  satisfaction  and  my  lips  parted  encouraging  him  to  deepen  the  kiss.  He  pulled  me  closer  and  my  eyes  fluttered  close.  As  his  tongue  delved  into  my  mouth  everything  in  me  throbbed   powerfully  to  life.