Chapter Twelve

When  we  were  done  eating,  I  started  clearing  the  table,  but  Jamila  stopped  me.  She  got  up  quickly  and  did  the  work  herself,  insisting  that  I  should  just  relax.  She  went  to  put  the  dishes  in  the  kitchen  while  Christine  swept  the  room. 

Jamila  came  back  and  played  a  song  on  the  laptop  then  sat  beside  me.  Christine  was  sitting  on  the  other  side  of  me.  They  both  reached  for   my  hands.  Jamila  took  the  right  while  Christine  held  the  left. 

That  was  all  it  took  for  me  to  break  down  into  tears.  I  cried  for  a  very  long  time  and  my  friends  did  their  best  to  comfort  me.  When  I  calmed  down,  they  asked  what  I  wanted  to  do,  but  before  I  could  answer  them,  my  phone  rang.

“It’s  Erick,"  I  told  them.

They  fell  silent  as  I  received  the  call.

“Hi,  handsome,"  I  greeted.

“Hi,  beautiful.  How  are  you?”

“Fine,  thank  you.  How  are  you?”

“I’m  fine,  just  tired  from  work.”

Erick  was  now  a  part  time  student  slash  worker.  I  was  not  sure  whether  he  worked  during  the  day  and  attended  class  in  the  evening  or  vice  versa.

“Sorry,”  I  sympathized.  “I  understand  work  can  be  hectic.”

That  was  why  I  had  refused  my  mother’s  proposal.  She  had  suggested  that  I  work  with  her  friend  who  was  a  teacher  at  a  school  very  close  to  my  campus.  My  work  would  be  to  tutor  the  high  school  students  in  the  evening.  I  didn't  want that  headache.

“No  worries,  I  can  handle  it.”  There  was  a  short  pause.  “Tell  me.  How  did  the  surprise  go?”

“Oh,  that.”  I  breathed.  I hated  having  to  retell  the  incident.  “It  was  a  disaster.”

“Why  do  you  say so?”

“I  got  surprised  instead.”

“What?  Please  explain.”

“Well,  I  was  introduced  to  your  sister-in-law.”

“What!  What  do  you  mean?  You’re  the  only  sister-in-law  I  know."

“Max  is  seeing  someone  else.” 

“Who  is  it?”

“Her  name  is  Hannah.  They're  go to the same college."

If  she  had  been  in  the  same  campus  as  William, ,  I  could  have  asked  him   to  deal  with  her.  Just  scare  her  a  little  or  maybe  just  talk  to  her.  I  was  not  iniquitous  hence  I  could  not  ask  my  best  friend  to  do  something  perverse. 

How  I  wished  my  late  brother  Jamal  were  alive!  He  could  have  spoken  with  Maxwell  on  my  behalf.  He  would  have  never  allowed  me  to  get  hurt. 

Dad, I miss you so much. You were my strength.

“Sofia?”

“Um,  sorry.  Did  you  say  anything?”

“How  long  has  Max  been  with  this   girl?”

“I  don’t  know.  I  didn’t  bother  to  ask.  I  quickly  gave  him  the  presents  and  left,”  I  paused  then  continued,  “I  know   I  shouldn’t  be   angry  because  Max  and  I  have  been  apart  for  four  months,  but  I’m  so  mad  at  him.