Chapter Twenty One

We took photos in the garden before heading out. At the gate, the three of us wore glasses and took more selfies. Maxwell said I looked like Kim Kardashian. I smiled shyly and thanked him for the compliment. As Jamila spoke with Maxwell, I searched for Maxwell's facebook account and went through his mobile uploads.

I saw photos of him with Hannah. In most photos, they were alone while in others they were in the company of Nickson and Maxwell's campus friends.

Bile rose in my throat. Maxwell had never posted a photo of me and him. I logged off and nearly threw my phone in anger. Maxwell caught my hand in time.

"Were you really going to threw your phone?" He asked, surprised.

"Of course not," I denied. "Why would I do that?"

"Right. Why?"

"Max is very stubborn," remarked Jamila. "I've been with him for just a short time but I've noticed that about him."

I ignored her comment and kept walking.

"How do you handle him?" Jamila asked, keeping her stride with mine.

That question, I could not ignore. It had triggered a response in me.

I chuckled. "He is no longer mine to handle, remember?"

Maxwell gave me a sad look. "Was that the only answer you could come up with?"

Oh! So he was hurt? Well, we had to face reality. He was taken.

"And what is wrong with what I said?"

"A hell lot and you know that."

"Well, I don't care. I only spoke the truth. Our breakup is real. Don't forget that."

"I haven't forgotten."

"Then don't get worked up over nothing."

"I'm not-"

"Cut it out you two," Jamila piped in. "You're both very stubborn. No wonder you're a match."

"No. We're not," Maxwell and I said in unison then stared at each other for a moment.

It was a stretched moment. I was sure he was feeling the existing tension.

"Jamila, please don't say we're a match." I said in a feeble voice. "Max no longer loves me."

"Sofia, you're driving me crazy," complained Maxwell. "That's why am glad Jamila is with us. Had we been alone, something could have happened." He paused a little. "But I don't want to think about it," he finished.

"Nothing would have happened," I objected, knowing so well that he was right.

If we had had no company, he would have kissed me and ended any further argument.

"Are you sure about that?" He asked, coming towards me.

"Ma-Max, do-don't," I stammered.

He stopped midway and smirked. "Take your words back," he ordered.

"Fine. You're right! Just wipe off that smirk on your face," I said then walked ahead of him and Jamila.
I didn't turn towards them till we got to the stage.

***
Two days later, I found out that one of my units had not been registered. I tried to hold back tears, but failed.

"Don't worry. We can easily solve this problem," my best friend assured me.

"I can't afford to relearn this unit," I cried.

"I understand."

"What am I going to do?"

"There's one thing you must do. Write a letter to the administrative office and let them know about your problem."

"The exam cards would be out tomorrow. That means the missing unit wouldn't be included. What if the lecturer refuses to give me the exam?"

"You've been attending classes. Surely, the lecs know that. They'll give you the exams."

I bowed down my head and put my hand on my forehead.

"I feel so unlucky."

"Don't say that. I encountered such a problem before. You should be glad that you've realized early. "

"It's not early," I argued. "Exams are around the corner."

Jamila patted me. "Don't stress yourself. I'll help you write the letter."

"Okay. Thanks."

"Don't worry. Everything will be alright."

"I hope so," I said as my cries subsided.

"Hello, ladies," greeted a familiar voice.

I wiped away the tears as I got to my feet. "Max! What are you doing here?"

"Is that the way to welcome your visitor?" Maxwell asked. "There's no, 'Am happy to see you?'"

"Sorry. I wasn't expecting you, that's why."

"It's fine. I understand."

"Come on now, let's sit at the garden," said Jamila and led the way.

"How are you feeling now?" Maxwell asked as we walked behind my friend.

"I am fine. Hold on. Did Jamila tell you something?"

Maxwell and Jamila glanced at each other. That was all the proof I needed.

"She did!" I exclaimed. "Sweetheart, you didn't have to bother him."

"It's no bother," said Maxwell. "Come here." He opened his arms and I went to him.

"Everything will be alright. Don't worry," he said as he stroked my back.

I clung to him and felt my body relaxing. Maxwell always made me feel better in an instant.

"Thanks for coming," I said as we sat next to each other.

"Don't mention it."

"Max brought us lunch," Jamila informed me. "It's chicken biriani."

"Wow! Thanks, Max."

"It's my pleasure. Come on, dig in."

I sighed. "I don't feel like eating. You guys can go ahead and eat."

"We're not eating unless you do so."

"It's okay, Jamila. I'll feed her." Max scooped some rice and brought the spoon close to my lips. "Say ah."

I was about to argue, but one look at his stubborn features told me it was pointless to do so. I let him feed me. It felt nice to be close to him again.

He cares, I thought to myself.

After lunch, Jamila helped me write a letter. I dropped the letter at the director's office then left for Swahili pot hub with Jamila and Maxwell. The two didn't have a hard time cheering me up. The environment was a catalyst.

We stayed until four then went to have evening tea at our favourite restaurant (mine and Jamila's). We ended up having cappuccinos instead.  It was one of the best evenings of my life.

Maxwell had been there for me when I needed him the most. We weren't in a relationship yet he showered his love on me. He showed that he still cared. He made me feel important. That was enough for me.