Chapter Twenty Eight

Jamila and Christine watched a movie while I typed my second story. Nothing could distract me while I was doing what I loved the most. Creating my characters and the circumstances surrounding their lives was my passion. Ever since shooting ended, I had kept myself preoccupied with writing. It soothed me and made me forget my worries.

Being the matchmaker, I had invited Edward Mwanyumba to Christine's birthday party held at the beach a week after shooting. It was a good approach because it had somehow brought the two closer. Not the way I wanted it, but it was a start. I was making some progress. So far, they had danced together twice. Edward had been busy at his father's hospital therefore the party had helped him unwind.

As graduation day was approaching, my friends and I made necessary arrangements for our party. I was not really excited about it. It simply pleased me to know that I would be spending time with the people I loved and cherished. I logged into my portal to check my results of the attachment. In the process, I noticed the fee balanced placed there.

I thought it would have been removed by now. I told my friends about it and they advised me to speak to the accountant. I paid him a visit later that afternoon. He said that the school owed me and I had to pay up if I wanted to be included in the list of graduands. I got really worried. What could I possibly do? I paced up and down in my room, refusing to talk to anyone.

I did not want my mother to find out so I had asked my friends to keep it between us for the time being. It is said that lightning never strikes twice, but how come I was getting misfortunes after misfortunes? Truly, when sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions.

"I think it's over for me," I cried as I leaned against the door. "You two go ahead without me."

"We're graduating together," Jamila told me.

"Yeah," agreed Christine. "We're not leaving you behind."

"I can't come up with sixty thousand shillings in a week," I said, opening the door to let them in. I sat on the carpeted floor and they joined me. "There's no way I'll make it to the deadline."

"Where there's a will, there's a way. Have faith. Everything will be alright," Jamila assured me.

"As always, the optimist," I remarked.

"That's who you were when I first met you. I picked up the trait from you," she stated.

"Now more than ever I hate that school. I don't wish to hear anyone saying that they want to learn there. Kasa University, a university full of disasters."

"Please don't say that. We had some good times there."

"I know. I'm just so furious. Will these problems ever end?"

"A wise person once said that tough times never last, but tough people do," said Christine.

"Another one said that if you're going through hell, keep going," said Jamila. "Meaning that you need to keep moving despite the challenges you face in life. There's light at the end of the tunnel."

I smiled inspite of my sorrows. "What would I do without you two?"

"Nothing," replied Jamila as she wrapped her arms around me. Christine joined in the embrace.

"I couldn't have gotten better gifts from the almighty than the two of you."

"There's three of us. Mubarak included," Jamila reminded.

"Of course. Him too," I agreed. "He is a blessing."

Soon enough, Mubarak caught wind of what had happened. He asked me to stop worrying, saying that he would handle everything. Jamila informed him that there were several students who had had such cases and had to pay since they had no otherwise.