Chapter Three

Time  passed. My  relationship  with  Maxwell  grew  stronger  with  the  years.  When  we  were  done  with  high  school,  Maxwell  went   to  study  at  a  college  in  Nairobi  while  I  searched  for  a  job.

“Don’t  worry,  you’ll  get  the  job,”  my  mother  assured  me  as  I  waited  to  hear from  the  school  I  had  applied.  “You’re  a  good  writer  therefore  you’ll  succeed  in  convincing  the  owner  to  employ  you.”     

I  got  hired  at  the  primary  school  a walking distance from home. Maxwell  and  I  spoke  often,  but  it  was  not  enough  for  me.  I  missed  his  presence. 

As  the  saying  goes,  ‘Absence  makes  the  heart  grow  fonder’, my  love  for  Maxwell  grew  stronger.  I  wanted  him  by  my  side,  but  I  understood  how  important  it  was  for  him  to  study  art.  He  needed  to  grow  his  talent. 

Several  months   later,  a  letter  was  sent  to  me  and  I  informed  Maxwell  about  it  on  April  Fool’s  Day  since  I  was  sure  he  wouldn’t  be  busy. 

“I  received  a  letter  asking  me  to  join  a  university  in  Sudan.  I’m  also  being  offered  a  scholarship,”  I  told  him  elatedly. 

When  he  did  not  say  anything,  I  continued,  “I  only  have  to  pay  for  the  ticket.”

“Do  you  really  plan  to  fly  over  there?”  He  finally  asked.

“Yes. Why  not?”  I  was  going  to  enjoy  reeling  him.

“It’s  far.  You  and  I   will  be  separated,”  he  groused.

“I  plan  to  go,”  I  lied.

Actually,  my  mother  had  said  no  to  my  going  to  Sudan.  There  had  been  reports  of  insecurity.  The  Kenyans  who  had  gone  there  had  returned  home  to  wait  for  things  to  calm  down  and  for  peace  to  be   restored.

My  friend  Riziki  had  received  the  same  calling  letter and  just  like  me,  she  hadn’t  been  granted  permission  by  her  mother. She  was  as  close  to  her  mother  as  I  had  been  close  to   mine   before  the  high  school  betrayal.      

“You  don’t  need  to  go  far  so  as  to  study.  There  are  universities  around  here,”  my  mother  had  told  me.

It  had  been  no  news.  I  knew  my  mother  so  well.  She  wouldn’t  allow  me  to   study  far  from  home.  She  felt  that  I  needed  to  be  monitored.  Even  my  high school  daughter  Faith  had  noticed  that.

“Why  does  it  look  like  your  mom  doesn’t  trust  you?”  She  had  asked   me  at  one  time.

Oh,  the   feeling  is  mutual,  I  had  wanted  to  tell  her.  I  don’t  trust  her  either.  She  deserted  me  when  I  needed  her  the  most.

“I  don’t  know,”  I  had  replied.

Faith  had  always  wanted  me  to  spend  the  weekend  at  her  place  but  she  knew  how  difficult  it  would  be.

“Don’t  worry,  we  will  make  it  happen.  I’ll  ask  mom  to  talk  to  your  mom  and  am  sure  she’ll  permit  you  to  sleep  over,”  she  had  told  me.

“Please  don’t  go,”  Maxwell  begged,  snapping  back  my  attention.

“Max,  sweetheart,  I  thought  you’d  be  happy  for  me,”  I  said.  “I  did  not  stop you  from  going  to  Nairobi,  remember?”

I  squelched  the  urge  to  laugh  when  I  heard  him  sigh.

“My  case  was  different,”  he  said.

“No,  it  wasn’t,”  I  said  with  gritted  teeth.  “It  was  about  your  studies,  same  case  as  mine.”

“You  know  what   I  mean,”  he   growled.   “Nairobi  is  not  as  far  as  Sudan.  I  can  visit  Mombasa  any  time,  but  if  you  go  to  Sudan,  we   wouldn’t  be  seeing  each  other  frequently.”

“Well,  at  least  you’ll  miss  me  more.”

“No,  don't  go  sweetheart.”

It  was  a  plea.

“I’m  sorry,  the  matter  has  been  settled.  There’s  nothing  I  can  do  about  it.”

“I  believe  you  can  still  do  something.  Try  convincing  your  mom.”

I  laughed  softly.  “You  know  my  mom.  She’d  be  happy  if  you  and  I  didn’t  get  to  see  each  other  at  all.”

“You  don’t  have  to  tell  her  that  you’re  doing  it  for  us.  Just  come  up  with  another  excuse.”
                                                                     “Okay,  I’ll  try.”
                                                                       “Thank  you.”

“Don’t  thank  me  yet.  The  mission  hasn’t  been  successful.”

“I  trust  you  will  triumph.  This  is  a  piece  of  cake  for  you.” 

“Thanks  for  putting  your  trust  in  me.  I’ll  try  not  to  let  you  down.”

“Okay,  sweetheart.  I  have  to  go  now.  Talk  later.”

“Yeah,   sure  sweetheart.  Later.”

Maxwell  did  not  like  ending  our  calls,  texts   or  meetings  with  goodbyes.  It  was  either  ‘See  you  later’,  ‘Talk  later’  or  ‘Love  you’.

“Heart  you,”  he  said.

“Heart  you  too,”  I  told  him.
                              *
Things  were  going  on  well  at  the  school  I  was  teaching.  I  liked  the  staff.  The  teachers  and  workers  were  friendly.  One  of  the  male  teachers  became  very  close  to  me  with  time.