Chapter Eleven

I  alighted and headed towards the bakery. I was going to  purchase  four  loaves  of  bread,  four  packets  of  milk,  four packets of  cookies  and  four swiss rolls. Yeah. My  shopping wouldn't be complete if I didn't buy a cake.

No  sooner  had  I  reached  the  bakery  than  my  phone  started  vibrating.  I  stared  at  the  screen  and  frowned.  Maxwell  calling.  I  let  it  ring  twice  before  answering. 

“Hello,”  I  mumbled.

“Hello,”  he  said  happily.  “I’d  like  to  thank  you  for  your  presents.”

I  bit  my  lower  lip  and  wondered  what  he  would  think  of  me  if  he  came  to  read  the  letters  or  saw  the  photos  I  had  kept  alongside  his  presents.  The  photos  were  two.  The  first  was  of  the  two  of  us,  smiling  at  each  other. 

It  had  been  taken  at  Hope  Academy  by  Anita  when  Maxwell  had  taken  a  break  from  painting.  The  second  was  of  Maxwell,  his  high  school  son  Joel  Mwandawiro,  my  high  school  daughter  Faith  Mwanyumba  and  I,  taken  at  the  beach.

My  phone  had  been  used  to  take  both  photos  and  I  had  not  sent  them  to  Maxwell  so  I  decided  to  print  them  instead.  Two  copies  each.  I  kept  mine  in  the  bedroom  to  look  at  before  sleeping  and  when  I  woke  up. 

The  letters  I  had  written  would  surely  invoke  a  response  in  Maxwell.  They were three.

Dearest  Maxwell,

Hi  sweetheart.  I  know  it’s  been  long  since  we  last  saw  each  other,  but  my  feelings  for  you  haven’t  changed.  I  still  love  you  very  deeply,  with  every  fibre  of  my  being.  My  body,  heart  and  soul  belong  to  you. 

I  am  completely  yours.  No  one  has  been  able  to  replace  you.  I  hope  that  I  still  hold  a  special  place  in  your  heart  and  that  I  forever  will.  You  were  my  first  love  and  I  hope  that  you  would  be  my  last,  I  hope  you  never  forget   me.

Lots  of  love,

Sofia.

P.S.  I’ll  be  forever  grateful  for  your  love.  You  made  me  happy  and  gave  me  strength.

Dear  Max,

How  are  you  sweetheart?  I  spoke  with  Erick  yesterday  and  he  told  me  that  you’re  staying  with  your  cousin.  I  know  you’ve  always  wanted  to  live  an  independent  life,  away  from  your  pampering  mother  so  that  you  can  man  up. 

I  want  you  to  know  that  am  so  proud  of  you.  You’re  the  best  thing  that  ever  happened  to  me.   I’ve  lost  a  part  of  me  by  losing  you.  I  adore  you  and  I  wish  we  could  both  fight  for  our  love.  There  is  no  other  man  for  me.  I  want  only  you.  Just  know  that  you   can  always  count  on   me.

With  love,
                                                                                                                                                 S.

Dear  M,

The  love  of  my  life.  How  do you  do?  I  miss  you  so  much.  All  these  months  we’ve  been  apart  I  haven’t  stopped  thinking  about  you.  You’re  in  my  thoughts  and  in  my  dreams.  I  hope  you’ve  been  thinking  about  me  too.