Chapter Thirty One

I paced about the sitting room, my eyes teary and my heart throbbing. I had just received the news about Mubarak's accident from his best friend Edward Mwanyumba.

Mubarak had swerved to avoid hitting an animal and ended up hitting a tree instead. He had been rushed to the hospital owned by Dr Mwanyumba, Edward's father, who was treating him at the moment. I did not want to bump into Mubarak's parents that was why I had not gone to the hospital yet.

It was a week since Mubarak visited my home. I had neither answered any of his calls nor replied to his numerous messages and now this.
My phone rang breaking the silence that had enveloped the room. I grabbed it but upon seeing the caller's name, dropped it on the couch and walked towards the window.

I heard Jamila greeting the caller and knew she had answered the phone.

She paused and said, "Sofia, Will wants to know how you're doing."

"Tell him am alright," I said, fiddling with the curtain.

"She says she is alright," she said into the phone. "Don't worry about her. We're here." A pause then, "Yeah. I'll tell her that."

"Maybe you should drink some juice and have brunch," suggested Christine. "You would need the energy if the time comes for you to visit the hospital. Besides, Mubarak would not like your starved look."

That statement piqued my interest. I walked away from the window and went to join my friends.

"Do you think Mubarak hooked up with his assistant because she has more flesh than me? Does her body make her more appealing?"

"No," disagreed Jamila. "You are perfect. Mubarak wouldn't trade you for anyone else. If you don't trust him, then trust us."

It was enough that I was worried about his condition. I did not need to add more problems to myself. I missed him so badly yet I could not get close to him. My anger had consumed me. I got up and headed towards the door.

"Where are you going to?" Christine asked.

"To get fresh air," I said opening the door.

"Cause the air in here is stale," joked Jamila.

"Right. It's stinking," I returned the joke then went out.

My mother kept a small garden in the compound where she planted tomatoes and greens. Watering them kept my mind off things sometimes. The best time for watering was in the morning and evening, but there I was holding the pipe in the afternoon sun.

I stayed there until Jamila came to find me a half an hour later. I followed her inside silently and sat down as she poured me some water. I mumbled my thanks and took the glass. Christine appeared from the kitchen carrying a plate of spaghetti topped with omelette and some veges.

She placed it before me and sat to my right. I was about to say that I was not hungry when my stomach growled. I said thanks instead and picked up the fork.
***
"What is the reason for your absence here again?" Edward asked when he called two days later.

He had told me that Mubarak had regained consciousness and was out of danger. His neck still hurt though, he'd said.

"I missed dinner at Mubarak's house," I told him. "His parents would want to know why and I am not ready to face them yet."

"That's not what you told me the first time."

"If you still remember what I said the last time then why did you ask again?"

He laughed. "Why are you mad at Vic anyway?"

"Who says am mad?"

"He did. He told me you weren't speaking to him the minute he woke up. What did he do wrong?"