Chapter Fifteen

Two days later, I spoke with Maxwell and asked him if it was okay for us to meet. He agreed. I informed Jamila and Christine. They wished me well.

Despite all the pain I felt, I was looking forward to seeing Maxwell again. The thought of meeting with him kept me going and I found myself wishing for time to fly really fast. My wish was granted.

Thursday came quickly. I reached Maxwell's place at three in the evening. I prayed silently for Hannah not to be around. Jamila and Christine had joked about giving my rival milk that is as sour as vinegar upon crossing paths with her.

Don't think about her, I told myself.

Excitement fizzed through me as I knocked at Maxwell's door. The gate was open so I had let myself in like the last time I had been there. The door propped open and Maxwell appeared at the doorway. He was wearing a white vest and a light blue short.

When my eyes lay on his muscular body, my lips curved into a smile. The sight of him caused goose bumps to shimmer up and down my arms. For a moment, I wanted to kiss him.

"Hi." He smiled down at me.

"Hi." A sigh escaped my lips.

At least he is happy to see me. Unlike Donald, I thought.

He gave me a hug and ushered me in. I despaired controlling the ever-present desire I experienced whenever he was near me. I just didn't know how to make it go away. Especially when he could turn me on with just one look.

I decided I was going to give in to the desire sometime during that visit. I would lie on his chest in case that would be the last time I would get a chance to be so close to him. It still pained me that he had found someone else pretty quickly.

"Sofia."

My heart clenched at the sound of his voice.

"Yeah."

I shifted my gaze towards him, realizing that I had been staring into space.

"Have a seat," he said.

"Thanks," I said sitting on the sofa.

He sat next to me and I could not stop staring at him.

"What is it?" He asked, smiling.

A smile tugged at my lips. "I just want to memorise your face assuming this would be the last time am seeing you.

"Don't say that." His smile vanished. "We'll see each other again soon. I'm sure."

"I hope so." I was not convinced.

"By the way, I'll be travelling in three days' time," he said.

"Where to?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, but I can't tell you," he replied curtly.

A lump formed in my throat. Why did he inform me in the first place? I was about to say something rude, but was interrupted by the entrance of a tall dark guy in his twenties.

"Hello, there," he said huskily approaching me.

"Hello." I shook the hand he extended to me and forced a smile.

Maxwell had not told me that we would be having company. I gave him a questioning look. He quickly made the introductions.

"Sofia, meet my cousin Nickson. Nick, meet Sofia, the girl I told you I was expecting."

"Nice to meet you, Nick," I said. "Can I call you, Nick?"

"Of course, yes, beautiful. You can call me Nick. And it's nice to meet you too."