Chapter Six

The sun was setting when I decided to return home. I had gone to visit my childhood friends  Rahma and Emmaculate in  Bamburi that  morning  to  spend  the  little  time  left  for  holiday.  Rahma was in the same class as me while Emmaculate was one class  ahead  of  us. 

Schools  were  being  opened  in  two  day’s  time,  and  since  we  had  relocated  to  Bakarani,  I  knew  I  would  not  have  time  to  visit  my  friends  back  at  the  place  where my family  used  to  live.

As  I  reached  Hope  Academy, I  slowed  down to  have a  peek at  its compound.  The  gate  was  slightly  open  so  I  stopped  to  take  a  good  look  at  the  school.  A  guy  was  drawing  some  pictures  on  the  wall  at  the  assembly  ground  and  he  seemed  to  be  so  engrossed in his work.

Without  thinking  twice, I  entered  the  compound  and  walked  towards  the  handsome  guy.  He must have heard my footsteps for he turned his face towards me, giving me the opportunity to study him.

He  was  truly  handsome, with  handsome  features; a  good  looking  face,  a nice haircut, mesmerising  eyes,  a   lovely  nose,  a  nice  chin  and  sweet  kissable  lips. I shook  my  head  lightly.

How  could  the  word  kissable  exist  in  my  head  at  that  very  moment?  Then  I  smiled  broadly. It  must  be  the  TV  shows  I’d  been  watching  because  they  were  all  about  romance. They  made  me  think  about  love  and  happily  ever  after.

“Hi,” I  said  breathlessly.

"Hi," he replied then asked, “Are  you  looking  for  someone?”

“Ah, n-no. N-not  r-really,” I  stammered. 

I  felt  uncomfortable. How  could  I  tell  him  I  was  just  curious  about  the  school  and  about  him?  I  let  out  a  sigh.

“I  was  just  passing  by  and  having  seen  the  gate  open, I  decided  to  get  in  and  have  a   good  look   at  the  school,” I  said.

“Oh, I  see.”   He  put  down  the  things  he  was  carrying  and  studied  me  for  a  moment. “You’re  new  here?” he  finally  said.  It  was  a  statement.

I  nodded.  “I  am.   I  hope  I  did  not  interrupt  your  work.  I  was  curious  to  know  what  was  keeping  you  busy.” I  looked  at  the  work  he’d  done  on  the  wall.  “You’re  so  talented!  That’s  great  work  you’ve  done.  Wonderful  drawings.”

He  grinned. “No, you have not interrupted my work. Thanks for  the  compliment.”

I  offered  him  my  hand. “My name is  Sofia."

He  took  my  hand in  his.  My  hand  tingled  from  the  contact  and  I  could  have  sworn  my  heart  skipped  a  beat. Was  this  what  a  girl  experienced  when  she  met  with  her  prince  charming? I  wondered.

“Lovely name, Sofia. My name is Maxwell,”  he  told   me.

"Thanks for the compliment."

He  released  my  hand  but  still  looked  at  me.  I  tried  to  guess  his  age.

He  must  be  a  teenager, maybe  fourteen  or  fifteen,  I  thought. 

Since  I was  going  to  join  that  school,  I  prayed  silently  for  him  to  be  my  classmate. 

“Oops!”  I  exclaimed,  having  just  realized  that  it  was  getting  dark. “My  mother  will  have  a  cow  if  I  don’t  get  back  home  this  minute.  I  have  to  leave  now,  Maxwell.”

“Please  call  me  Max.”  He  gave  me  a  heart-melting  smile  that  made  my  heart  flutter.

“Okay.  It  was  a  pleasure  meeting  you,  Max.  I  have  to  go  home.”

I  shook  the  hand  he  offered  then  turned  around.  I  shut  my  eyes  and  tried  to compose  myself.  I  felt  a  hand  on  my  shoulder.