Chapter Twenty Seven

My friends and I stood in the lobby of Able Tech Company admiring the building. We watched as some workers climbed up and down the stairs while others went in and out of the lift. The receptionist kept glaring at us. When she had informed us that Mubarak was in a meeting with other managers (after speaking with his personal secretary), I had asked her not to bother him so that my friends and I could use that chance to take a walk around the company.

According to the top banana, Mr Mwandawiro, everything had to be pin perfect. The floor was spotlessly clean and the air, aromatic like fresh lillies. Though he was austere, he cared about his employees. He made sure that they got their salaries on time for he knew that empty bags cannot stand upright.

We took a lift to the second highest floor; there was a lot of hustle bustle. We could hear the constant click of keyboards, the buzz of printers, the rings of telephones, the ting of elevators and the knock of shoes on the floor.

No one was seated idly. Those who weren't working on the keyboard were looking at documents while others were having a discussion. The office environment was neither too hot, nor too chilly due to the presence of air fresheners. Mubarak wasn't expecting me. Jamila and Christine had suggested that I surprise him with lunch. His meeting took longer than I expected.

When Mubarak came out of his office and found my friends and I waiting in the lobby, he went to reprimand his secretary for not informing him about my presence there. The secretary apologized and said that she was only following his instructions. After all, he had specifically asked her to not interrupt his meeting. I told him not to sweat it since the meeting was important. He insisted that I was more important making me feel guilty for showing up uninvited.

He was glad to see me, saying that I had lifted up his spirits. I gave him his lunch and told him that we weren't staying any minute longer. He said he was going to take us out for lunch then afterwards, he would come back and eat whatever I had taken to him. I agreed knowing that it was pointless to say no. He would convince Jamila and I would have no option but to accept the invitation.

After lunch, my friends and I went shopping. We needed clothes for the party that would be held after shooting was done. The clothes cost an arm and leg.

On our way out of the mall, I received a call from Riziki saying that our investors had pulled out for no apparent reason. I told my friends about it and as usual, they told me not to worry for everything was going to work out in the end, reminding me that every cloud has a silver lining. I didn't realize that Jamila had a plan in mind.

Two days later, Riziki told me that we had gotten a new investor. I was happy as well as surprised. How lucky were we to find an investor so soon! Upon speaking with the owners of Frames Film Production, I discovered that the investor was none other than Able Tech Company. That didn't make sense since I had not told Mubarak what had happened. Jamila!

My friend's name popped in my head. No one else could have approached Mubarak other than her. I decided to talk to her about it. Just because Mubarak and I were together didn't mean that he had to help me with anything and everything. I didn't want to be dependent on him.

It would seem as if I was taking advantage of his kindness. I spoke with Mubarak after talking to Jamila. Mubarak told me he didn't mind helping me. In fact, he enjoyed doing things for me. If he had his way, I wouldn't have to lift a finger. He wanted to spoil me rotten.

As days turned into weeks, and weeks into months, Mubarak and I became inseparable. We were like two peas in a pod. We spent a lot of time together. Sometimes strolling and tasting different dishes. Other times, we stayed at his place painting.

Oh, how talented he was! He reminded me of Maxwell. The way he concentrated in painting was the exact way I did in writing. His paintings were pleasing to the eyes and they left a print in the hearts. He had only displayed them at an exhibition once and they had brought in a lot of cash.