Chapter Ten

I  boarded  a  matatu  heading  to  Docks  and  arrived  at  my  destination  within  a  few  minutes.  I  quickly  crossed  the  road  praying  for  things  to  turn  out  well. 

A  lot  of  thoughts  raced  in  my  mind  as  I  passed  Uhuru  Gardens.  Maxwell’s  house  was  a  walking  distance  from  the  tarmac  road.  I  took  in  a  deep  breath  and  began  walking  away  from  the  road. 

Ten  minutes  later,  the  house  came  into  view.  Would  he  be  in  the  company  of  another  woman?  Bile  burned  in  my  stomach  at  the  thought,  but  I  kept  moving  until  I  reached  the  gate. 

It  was  open  so  I  went   in  and   stopped  at  the  front  door.  I  took   in  the  surrounding.  The  house  was  painted  blue.  It  was  a  two-bedroom  house.  The  fence  was  hedged  and  the  compound  well  swept.

I  was  about  to  knock  when  I  heard  Maxwell’s  bold  laughter  coming  from  inside  the  house.  The  sound  pierced  my  heart.  Maxwell  sounded  happy.  Happy  without  me.  It  hurt  me  to  know  that  I  was  not  the  reason  behind  his  happiness.  His  not  inviting  me  to  his  party  had  left  a  sour  note  in  my  mouth.  We  were  more  like  strangers.  Strangers  with  a  past.  I  could  hear  music  wafting  in  the  background. 

I  knocked  on  the  door  softly  after  a  long  intake  of  breath.  The  door  opened  to  reveal  a  young  beautiful  lady  in  her  twenties.  She  was  fair  and  quite  tall.  She  was  in  a  lovely  white  dress.  She  got  out  and  closed  the  green  door  behind  her.  Green  was  Maxwell’s  favourite  colour. 

“Hi.  Who  are  you?”

I  swallowed  hard.  If  the  lady  was  Maxwell's  girlfriend,  then  I  ought  to  hate  him  for  moving  on  so  quickly.  I  mean,  was  four  months  enough  time  for  someone  to  move  on? 

I  stared  at  the  lady  before  me  and  wondered  why  Maxwell  had  not  tried  to  make  our  relationship  work  for  the  last  time. 

Maybe  he  was  tired  of  fighting  for  us,  I  thought. 

Perhaps  our  relationship  was  not  important  to  him.  I  did  not  mean  anything  to  him.  I  never  had.  The  realisation  hit  me  and  I  fought  back  tears. 

Get  a  grip,  Sofia,  I  told  myself. 

For  heavensake,  we  had  not  been  introduced  and  there  I  was  jumping  into  conclusions.  She  probably  meant  nothing  to  him,  I  soothed  myself.  And  if  she  did,  she  was  probably  a  family  friend  or  a  relative.  Or  better  yet,  his  cousin's  girlfriend.  Erick  had  told  me  that  Maxwell  lived  with  his  cousin.
                                                           "Miss?"

I  forced  a  smile.  "Oh,  hi.  I'm  Sofia,"  I  said  then  added,  "an  old  friend  of  Maxwell's."

"Oh,  nice.  I'm  Hannah,  Maxwell's  fiancée."

Nooo!  I  wanted  to  shout.  To  lash  out.  To  scream  that  life  was  unfair.  To  cry  at  the  turn  out  of  events. 

In  the  end,  I  faked  a  smile,  said,  "Wow!  I'm  happy  for  you."  But  I  was  bleeding  inside.

She  smiled  back  and  said,  "I'm  happy  for  me."

Then  suddenly  remembering  we  were  standing  in  the  compound,  she  opened  the  door  and  ushered  me  in.

"Please  feel  at  home,"  she  said  as  I  sat. 

I  felt  anger  rising  inside  me.  That  was  supposed  to  be  my  line,  I  thought.  I  ought  to  be  the  lady  of  the  house,  performing  the  duties  of  a  hostess  during  such  moments.