Chapter Twenty Five

"Action!" The director yelled before the camera started rolling.

"Good morning, class," greeted my campusmate, Mary.

"Good morning, Miss Martha," replied the class, Maxwell and I included.

Mary went on and began teaching. At the end of the lesson, she wrote five questions on the board.

"These questions are for the five groups I have selected. You shall do the questions in pairs. That is your assignment for today," she told us.

We waited silently for our names to be called out. Most of my classmates were happy with the people they had been partnered with. I wasn't. My name was the last to be read.

"Hellen, you'll be working with Morgan," the teacher said.

Ugh! Why did it have to be him of all people? I wondered. Diana and her group were already making things hard on me. I raised up my hand.

"Madam, could you give me a different partner, please?"

"Sorry, Hellen, but I won't do such a thing. Go on and begin your research. Class dismissed."

I hang my head as I gathered my books. I left the class and went to the library. A few minutes later, Maxwell approached me.

"Hey, Morgan," I whispered. "Are you stalking me?"

"No, am not," he whispered back.

"How on earth did you know where to find me?"

"I just figured you'd be at a place that is as silent as a graveyard so that you may do the research without any interruptions."

"Oh, yeah, but here you are interrupting me."

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to know why you were against our being paired up."

"It's because of Diana. She'll be mad if she sees us together."

"That shouldn't worry you."

"She likes you. She thinks I am competing with her for your attention."

"I am not interested in her."

"But-"

"Just forget about her for now. Let's commence on the work assigned to us, shall we?"

"Sure. Let me show you what I got."

"Cut!" Shouted the director. "Let's take a short break.

He smiled at me and gave me a big thumbs up. I smiled back and went to talk to Riziki who was rehearsing with William. Anita and Alicia were standing next to them, going through their scripts.

"It's so great working with you," said Maxwell approaching me.

"Oh, really?" I moved away from Riziki and he followed me.

"Yeah. Can we have lunch together sometime tomorrow afternoon? Or we can make it dinner."

"No, thanks."

My hands were akimbo. I didn't know what his intentions were, but I wasn't going to entertain him anymore. I had loved him more than I had loved myself. He was the only man I had trusted after my stepfather passed on, but he broken that trust and taught me a hard lesson. Never trust anyone, but yourself.

As if reading my mind, he said, "I don't have any hidden intention. I only want to thank you for getting me this role by treating you to dinner."

"You don't have to. You already said thanks and that's enough."

"Why are you treating me as if I were a stranger?"

Because that's really what you are, I thought. I don't know you anymore. I bit my lip to stop myself from giving any spiteful reply.