Chapter Thirteen

I woke up late the following day. I could hear voices coming from the television in the sitting room.

Jamila and Tina are awake, I thought.

I sat on my bed and thought of the previous night. I had cried my heart out, shouldn't the pain have lessened by now? I clutched at my stomach and grimaced. I felt as if there was a needle stabbed in there.

My head was pounding. I hoped that  I would be feeling better by the end of the day. That the emotions ripping me apart every time I thought of Maxwell would begin to fade.

A knock sounded at the door. I bade the person enter. Christine got in.

"You're awake?"

"Yes," I murmured.

"Good," she said. "I thought I'd have to pour water on you."

"Sorry to disappoint you," I said.

"How are you?" Christine asked, sitting at the edge of the bed.

"Right as rain," I lied.

She arched her brow, proof that she wasn't fooled. I gave her a reassuring smile. She leaned forward and took my hand.

"It's me you're talking to, Sofia. You don't have to pretend you are okay when you're not."

"I know," I said. "I just have a headache." I omitted the fact that my stomach was aching.

"Jamila asked me to look out for you."

I laughed softly. "The hell she did!"

Jamila was beginning to take up my mother's role. "Did she also ask you to make sure I didn't leave the house?"

She shook her head and stood up. "You may leave but you have to tell me where you're going to."

"Sounds fine to me." I slid from the bed and followed Christine to the door.

She opened it and I went out after her.

"What time is Jamila coming from work?"

"We'll see her in the evening," replied Christine pouring tea for herself. "She is taking us to the hotel in town to have dinner. Right now though, she is at the campus."

"What? She left for school without me? Oh my God! There's a lecture going on!"

"Not a lecture. It's a group discussion for literature assignment, so she said."

"What! Why didn't she wake me up then?"

"She said you needed enough sleep. Don't worry, she'll cover up for you."

"What will she tell our classmates?" I asked angrily. "That, 'Hey, everyone. Sorry, Sofia couldn't make it. She is trying to mend her broken heart'. I don't want to imagine the kind of responses would get from them."

"Don't worry, I am sure she'll just tell them that you're sick, period."

"Okay."

"Aren't you having breakfast now?"

"No. I'll first go and take a shower before joining you."

"Alright. I'll be waiting."

I took a quick shower, dressed then had breakfast. My mother arrived home as I was washing utensils. Christine had volunteered to do the dishes but I had asked her to let me do it so that I could keep my mind preoccupied.

Later, I prepared lunch and packed some food for Jamila. Christine and I were going to take it to her office.

"Goodbye, mom," I said as we left.