Chapter Four

The  following  day,  I  did  not  leave  the  school  together  with  Donald.

“Go  ahead,”  I  told  him.

He  was  hesitant.  “Why  don’t  you  accompany  me  as  usual?”  He  asked.

I  pointed  at  the  book  on  my  lap entitled, ‘Harry  Potter  and  the  Deathly  Hallows’  by  J.K  Rowling.

“I  want  to  finish  reading  this.  I’m  almost  done,”  I  told  him.

"Alright, I'll wait for you."

"Please don't. I'll join you once am done. You go ahead."

“Okay,”  he  capitulated  and  left.

I  did  not  go  to  his  place  that  afternoon  because  I  felt  guilty  about  what  had  happened  between  us.  Maxwell  had  called  me  that  morning  to  check  on  how  I  was  doing  and  I  had  felt  that  I  did  not  deserve  his  care  and  kindness. 

My  guilt  was  still  eating  me  up  by  the  time  Donald  returned  to  work.  I  could  see  that   he  was  angry  and  yet  I  could  not  blame  him.

“I’m  sorry,  Don,”  I  apologized  on  our  way  home.

He  did  not  say  anything  until  it  was  time  for  us  to  part  ways.  He  gave  me  a  quick  embrace  then  pecked  me  on  the  cheek  and  forehead.

“Stay  safe,”  he  murmured.

“You  too,”  I  said  as  he  walked  away.

I  felt  really  sad.  I  didn’t  want  to  lose  him  yet  I  wasn’t  sure  I  could  keep  him.  It  dawned  on  me  that  I  was  falling  for  him.   And  that  was  so  wrong.
                                *      
“I’m  sorry  I  won’t  be  going  out  with  you  later,”  Donald  told  me  the  following  morning. 

We  were  in  the  staffroom  getting  ready  for  class.   It  was  Saturday  and  as  usual  he  and  I  went  on  a  date  after  classes.  Is  he  still  angry  at  me  because  of  yesterday?  I  wondered. 

True,  I  had  hurt   him   by  not  going  with  him  for  lunch  as  usual,  but  I  had hoped  that  he  would  understand  me.  He  saw  the  questioning  look  on  my  face  and  gave  me  a  thin  smile.

“I  have  to  visit  my  mom,”  he  said  in  response  to  my  unasked  question.

I  forced  a  smile.  “It’s  okay.  I  understand,”  I  told  him.

“See  you  later,”  he  said  then  left  for  class.

I  gathered  my  books  and  went  to  class.  During  break,  a  student  brought  me  a  note.  I  thanked  him  then  unfolded  the  piece  of  paper  as  soon  as  he  left. 

It  read: 

If  it  is  absurd  to  see  only  you  in  a  room  full  of  people,  to  listen  only  for   the  sound  of  your  voice,  to  know  the  day  will  be  empty  unless  you  appear,  then  I  am  absurd.     

My  lips curved  into a  smile  as  I  remembered  where  I  had  come  across  those  words. 

Those  were  the  exact  words  said  by  a  character  of  the  book  ‘Scarlet  Shadows’  written  by  Emma  Drummond. 

The  character  Harry  Edmunds  had  told  the  female  lead  character  Victoria  Castledon  those  words  during  a  party  hoping  to  win  her  love.