SIXTY SIX

A.N. surprise! i know i haven't been updating any of my fics for a few months, and i obviously apologise, but life has just been very busy and i simply haven't had the time to write. i want to thank those of you who have been so patient and have been continuing to leave kind comments/messages, it honestly means so much!

but also, i just want to say that for the few bombarding me with fairly rude comments about slow updates and me 'abandoning' my stories, i would just like to remind you that i write these stories for FREE, and i have other life commitments which i have to prioritise. i want to finish these stories (and this story is only a few chapters from being complete), but it may take some time, so i appreciate those of you who have stuck with me all this time

HARRY

The next morning, I wake up before Rochelle, greeted by the sight of her tangled up in the bed sheets, the covers twisted around her limbs and her dark hair splayed out across the pillows. For a minute or so, I allow myself to just lie here and fully appreciate the moment, letting the sunlight streaming through the curtains warm my body, listening to nothing but the steady hum of Rochelle's breath. I let my eyes flutter closed again, not to fall back asleep, but instead to think back to all those mornings where I woke up alone in my cold, empty bed, wishing that Rochelle could be there next to me, but fearing that she may never be again. The fact that she's only a few inches away from me now, sleeping soundly in one of my t-shirts, is something that would've been too painful to even imagine a few days ago. But now it's reality, and I can't even remember a time when I've been so simply, completely happy.

After smiling down at Rochelle once more, I quietly climb out of the bed so not to wake her and make my way downstairs to the kitchen. I pull open the cupboards in search for something resembling breakfast, but seeing as we haven't been out to buy any extra groceries in case of being spotted by someone, the options are pretty limited. However, I manage to scrape together enough ingredients to make some pancakes, and by the time Rochelle sleepily walks into the kitchen, I've already made quite the stack.

"Morning, gorgeous," I greet her, tilting the pan in my hand to spread the batter around. "Are you hungry?"

"Uh, morning..." She still looks a little disorientated as she peers around the kitchen, her eyes squinting as she notices what I'm doing. "Are you making me breakfast?" she asks after a few seconds, a small smile pulling at her lips as she scans me up and down. "I guess we really have made up, huh?"

I just smile, turning my attention back to the pancakes while Rochelle gets herself a glass of water and then takes a seat over at the dining table. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see her watching me over the rim of her glass as she takes slow sips, but I try my best to ignore her shamelessly checking me out and instead focus on what I'm doing, frying more pancakes and adding them to each of our plates. Once we have a few each, I switch off the oven and then grab both plates, carrying them over to the table. However, I stop dead in my tracks and almost drop the plates to the floor when I suddenly notice something that I didn't think I'd ever see again: my silver rose ring, sparkling in the morning light on Rochelle's finger.

Thankfully, I manage to compose myself and avoid any injuries or smashed dishes, slowly setting the plates down on the table before looking down at Rochelle and asking, "Is that my ring?"

Her other hand instinctively reaches down to touch the ring, as if me drawing attention to it has reminded her it's there. "Uh, yeah," she admits, a little bashful as she blinks up at me with her big brown eyes. "Is that ok? Do you want me to take it off?"

I quickly shake my head. "No, no, of course not," I reply, crouching down between her knees as she remains sat in the chair. "I just...." I pause, trailing my finger along the ring. "I didn't think I'd ever see you wearing this again. How do you even have it?"