THIRTY NINE

ROCHELLE

ROCHELLE

My feet push against the cold, tiled wall of the pool, pushing off with enough momentum to send me flying back across the lane I've been swimming in for the past hour or so. Swimming has always been relaxing to me, in fact, I think I could swim forever, dive forever, be here in this underwater world forever. There's something about the motion of it that becomes natural after a while, how the chlorinated smell and the clean turquoise water makes everything else drift away. At least, momentarily.

While attempting to shut off my thoughts, I move across the pool with robotic precision but organic fluidity, stroke after stroke nailed to perfection after years of practice. To say I was feeling a little stressed about the mission that's been going on for about four days now would be the understatement of the century. In usual circumstances, it wouldn't bother me that much, but because I'm a trainee and therefore not permitted to know anything about how it's going, I'm finding it a bit difficult. I'm concerned about Connie, Zayn and Liam, because they're my friends, and I'm even concerned about Louis too, despite the fact that I don't even think he likes me. But mostly, I'm worried about Harry, and how he's dealing with having to investigate a terrorist cell that's haunted him for the past year.

However, after about eighty laps up and down the pool, I start to feel a bit better. I cleave the water with powerful rhythmic strokes until I reach the other end again, which is when I finally burst up to the surface, spraying water droplets everywhere as I shake my head. After peeling off my goggles and glancing up, I jump slightly when I spot no other than Elias stood at the edge of the pool, tapping his foot impatiently as if he's been waiting for me to surface for a while.

"Oh, hey, Elias," I greet him, my voice slightly breathless as I slide the goggles up to rest on my head. "What's up?"

"Anton wants to see you in the conference room," he says simply. "Now."

That's all he says before turning on his heel and exiting the pool area, the doors swinging shut behind him while I remain floating in the water, staring after him with a confused look. As I climb out of the pool and pad over to the changing rooms, I begin to think of the possible reasons why Anton could want to see me. There's plenty of reasons, of course. He could have found out who my boss is and uncovered the real reason I'm here. He could have figured out mine and Harry's rather inappropriate relationship. Or, he could have found out that I accidentally broke one of the buttons on the vending machine by pressing it too hard, and decided not to tell anyone about it.

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'm fucked, and I'm probably going to be kicked out of the institute for one reason or another. So, when I stroll into the conference room after quickly drying my hair and changing back into my trainee clothes, and find that both Anton and Elias are stood there with rather serious expressions, my heart practically drops out of my ass. That's it. It's over. I'm done.