1

"Have you ever thought about what you would do if you can control the future?"

I don't have an answer to that. I haven't given much thought to it. I'm not the kind of person to worry over the future or dwell on the past. 

I live in the moment, which people say is good. I'm not so sure. It just makes me an aimless person. It's made me care less and less about consequences. Less and less about mistakes I've made.  

Before I can formulate a reply, he continues to elaborate. 

"Well, controlling the future sounds a bit too strong. But what if you can see events of the future? What if you had the power to change things?" he asks. 

The waiter reappears with the sandwich and chicken strips. I hesitate as It'd be awkward when Seokjin isn't eating. As if sensing my hesitation, he nods for me to just proceed. 

I take a slow bite, pondering his question. 

"I don't know. My life has always been a bit boring. Even if I could change the future, it wouldn't be by much. I have a feeling any path I take, my life would turn out mundane. I'd rather not change anything and make it complicated."

He nods as if he's satisfied with the answer. His throat pulses, momentarily catching my attention. 

"Your turn. Ask me something," he says. 

"Where is my bracelet?" I ask. 

He should know if his friend is the one who stole it. 

"It's with me, but I will decide when to give it back to you. If I decide to return it at all."

I frown at his response, but it's the best I can get. I have to run on bargains with him. 

"Now, my turn," he continues, leaning forward, "What about the past? If you knew something from the past - that you hadn't known before - that can change everything you know now, would you take a risk?"

What kind of questions are these? Are they building some kind of time machine? Are they doing a survey to choose who will use it?

Then again, I remember Jungkook calling me a seer. In other words, a clairvoyant. 

It's easier to believe a time machine. 

"I don't know what answer you're expecting. I'm a pretty boring person if I'm being blunt here. I wouldn't change it. I'm not the type to take risks and make things worse than they already are."

Once again, he seems content with my answer. I pull the pieces of my sandwich apart, mouth watering at the sight of the cheese stretching between them. 

"Now..." I continue, trying to find an appropriate question, "Who are you people?"

"A pretty ambiguous question. We're just a gang called Bangtan."

Gang doesn't sound very friendly. I am always so skeptical of strangers and he's giving me more reasons to be distrustful. 

I wait for him to say something more, but he doesn't. He's blankly staring at me as I eat. At this point, I'm too hungry to actually feel shy about stuffing my face. 

"Do you want me to ask you something again, or...?"

"Right, I forgot," he smiles, "Do you believe in vampires?"

I have a feeling these guys are from some kind of book club obsessed with sci-fi and paranormal beings. 

I decide to just roll with it for the sake of his amusement. 

I have no reason to believe in vampires. I've never seen one or even seen proof that they exist. 

"Uh, no. Next question. What do you want from me?" I ask. 

"It's complicated. You have to believe everything I say, first things first."

"Depends on what you say."

I swear if he starts rambling about finding a mate, like Jungkook did in the morning-

"For starters, there are seven of us, and we are all vampires. We had a human mate named Helen but she disappeared after we turned her, about ten years ago. A human loses their memories after turning, so we're worried about her. You are a seer, someone who can not only see the future but also look into the past."

I just stupidly listen with a piece of sandwich in my mouth, too confused to even chew. 

"If you come with us, you can probe into the past or future and figure out where she might be."

"Uh-huh, nice story. Now give me my bracelet so I can go back home."

He is not honestly expecting me to believe that. He sighs, disappointed but not surprised. 

"Should I prove it to you? I am one of the gifted ones," he says, "But before we begin, I should ask you something. Do you have a strong faith in God?"

How do I kindly put it that I'm an atheist? No one seems to take it well. I just shake my head with disinterest. At this point, I'll leave with or without my bracelet. 

But it's the only thing I have of my mother. She's not dead if you're wondering, but cruelly enough, I think it'd be easier if she were. 

"Okay. Now, don't be scared by what happens next," he shoots me a rueful glance. 

I watch as his eyes flicker red, contrary to the cerulean blue they were before. I can feel my limbs locking, winding tight like a doll. 

"Why don't you try to move your hand?" he asks. 

His smile is reluctant now like he really doesn't want to do what he is doing. I try to lift my hand, but it's impossible. 

I'm frozen in place, eyes wide, comprehending the world around me but unable to react. 

"Y/N, do you realize how dangerous this situation is? If I wish, I can trap you in permanent paralysis. I can just leave you here to live the rest of your life like this. I'm sure you don't want that."

He looks so petrifying, eyes set in a firm glare. 

I've never been this scared in my entire life. I want to do something, anything. It's like I'm kicking in quicksand. I'm living a nightmare. 

Nothing seems to be working. 

A tear slips down my cheek. 

"I'm sorry," he says softly, face turning gentle immediately. 

I can move again.

I wipe away my tears, staring at the plates before me. I no longer have an appetite. I don't know what I did to get stuck in this. 

"Fine, I'll help you find your mate. But after I do, you must leave me alone."