2

"Fine, I'll help you find your mate. But after I do, you must leave me alone."

My eyes burn as I attempt to focus on class. I could barely sleep the previous night. As soon as Seokjin had left after I agreed, I downed the soda, paid the bill, and left the place in a hurry. 

I noticed the note he left behind, beside the card Namjoon had given me. 

This is a flicker card. Its purpose is similar to signal flares. If you touch this card when you wish to see any of us, we will appear. But each of us can be called upon only once. You have used mine, so you can't contact me with the card anymore. Use it again when you are ready to face us. 

I could barely understand the handwriting. The scrawl seemed hurried. Thankfully, the next day is Saturday, meaning I have a break. 

I need to catch up on sleep. 

That is exactly what I do on Saturday. It's a rather bleak morning, pale sunlight filtering through the clouds at intervals. I wake up at eleven in the morning, deciding to get out of bed. 

After I shower, my eyes fall on the flicker card. I should probably get things done as soon as I can. My finals are a few months away and I want to get this out of my way. 

I almost feel stupid when I touch the card. What if yesterday was just a dream? I used to get pretty freaky dreams as a kid, so it's not impossible for me to conjure a man I never met. 

I freeze as the doorbell rings. Ever since I've moved into this place, I've only had one visitor, but I'm sure it's not them. I don't remember ordering pizza, either. Maybe I'm not imagining things after all. 

When I open the door, a lean man with black hair stands there. He's someone I've never met before. He's dressed in a black dress shirt, the sleeves rolled up, and matching black skinny jeans. 

His eyes are a jarring shade of delicate pink, softening his serene features. 

"Should we go? Or do you want to stare at me all day?" he taunts. 

Taken aback, I blink in confusion. 

"Go where?"

"A place where you can safely test your powers if you have any," he tilts his head, "Show me your hand."

His voice is as calm as commanding. I extend my hand hesitantly, flinching as his cold fingers grasp my wrist. He presses his nose to the skin, inhaling deeply. 

Never in my life did I imagine I would get sniffed by a guy whose name I don't even know. 

"Fine. Come with me," he says, "I'm Yoongi, by the way."

I look down at my clothes. I'm still in a pair of pajama shorts and a faded t-shirt. 

"But I have to-"

"You don't need to," he cuts me off, "Where we're going, it would only be the two of us."

Both of us turn as the door next to ours opens. The neighbor walks out. 

"Hey," she says tentatively. 

"Hi," I nod. 

Her eyes flicker to Yoongi - who gazes back with an unwavering gaze - before she turns around and walks away. I realize my hand is still in his grip. 

"Come out and lock your door," he orders. 

He lets go of me so I can do what he says. After I'm done, he takes my hand in his. 

"Close your eyes and trust me."

I don't know about the second part, but I close my eyes anyway. I'm startled when I feel sunlight fall on me. 

"You can open your eyes now."

His fingers leave mine as I follow what he says. We're no longer in the hallway of my apartment. Long, dry grass surrounds us, tickling my legs. 

When I look up, an abandoned church is in view. 

"Something terrible happened in this place," he says, "It's one of our strongest memories. I want you to see whether you can envision it somehow. All seers don't work in the same way, so there's not much I can do to help you. Some can see it in their dreams, some have to use a medium," he shrugs, "It depends from person to person. Just try whatever you want."

I squint against the sunlight, realizing that he's just standing under the bright midday sun. 

"Why aren't you disintegrating into ashes?" I blurt. 

He smirks, shoving his hands in his pockets. 

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?"

He keeps answering with questions. I sigh, but another question pops up in my mind. 

"How do I know you're vampires?" 

"Wasn't Jin's demonstration yesterday enough for you? Or do you want me to make you cry too?"

"No, I mean, I know you guys are supernatural, in general. But how do I know you are vampires in particular?" I ask. 

He grins, gaze lowering. His eyes turn red. Unlike Seokjin, his eyes stay red instead of flashing. That's when I see his canines slowly lengthen. 

"Should I drink your blood?"

I gulp, taking a step back when he takes a step towards me. 

"No, thank you," I squeak. 

"That's what I thought. Let's get in there."

It hadn't occurred to me until now that he can easily drain me of blood. Even without his vampiric strength - if that myth is true - he can effortlessly overpower me. 

Although lean and not as buff as the others I met, I can see the chorded muscles coil in his arms when he pushes open the massive doors.

The structure is abandoned, stained glass and wood splinters shattered on the ground. Vines creep all over the place. 

Yoongi moves to grab my forearm when I trip on the stem of a wild creeper.

"Careful," he warns, "The place was trashed a few years ago and it's been a hangout for rebels and drunkards since."

I read the spray paint on the walls, probably the work of rebellious teenagers who think it's cool.

The devil sees you. 

Have you come from the grave?

How does it feel, being dead? 

Aren't you going to stop?

I pause at the crude drawing of an eye. It's in green spray paint, the proportions off, making it seem more eery than intended. 

Black splatters mar the drawing, similar to blood spraying on a surface while stabbing someone. Above the eye is one sentence. 

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.