PART II: Prologue

"Y/N, we told you to dispose of this phone-"

"Hey, I don't feel too-"

I pass out.

There's this burning, writhing feeling in my veins. There are no voices in my mind, it's painfully quiet. I could use the company right now, especially with how acidic my heart feels. I need someone to hold my hand, to tell me everything will be okay. That I will wake up and everything will be fine. 

But right now, nothing feels fine. I don't know whether I will wake up. I don't know what is happening to me. There's a sudden urge to throw up and I think I do. I can't remember anything. Hours pass. Or maybe even days. 

I wonder what happened. I wonder what has happened and what will. 

And at some point in time, I don't wonder at all. I don't think. Everything is blank and white and blissfully empty. 

I open my eyes and the first thing I see is an oddly familiar lampshade. Within a second, the door slams open, and a group of men files in. Once again, oddly familiar. 

"Y/N, you're awake," a man with strawberry blonde hair sighs in relief. 

He moves forward, and there's a surge of panic that makes me move back. The sheets are warm beneath me, although my fingers feel cold and smooth, almost like stone.

"Who are you? Y/N? Who's Y/N?" I ask. 

"She... she doesn't remember," a man with black hair whispers. 

And yet, I hear the words crystal clear. For some unfathomable reason, the men seem somber. What can I not remember? How can I not recognize them? It comes in gentle waves and then crashes in full force. 

I remember. I remember them. 

"Namjoon, Tae, Jimin, Yoongi," I gasp, "Guys, what... What happened?"

I haven't been breathing for a while, and when I suddenly do, the combined smell of everyone in the room is overwhelming. I'm feeling too much all at once. 

"What happened to me? What have you done?!"

My voice is hoarse and stutters on the way out. I need something to drink. 

"I was supposed to be on a flight to Japan," I sob. 

I clutch at my chest, where I can no longer feel a heartbeat. It can't be. All these signs. They point towards one thing that I refuse to believe. 

"You overdosed on venom."

It's Namjoon who speaks, and he doesn't look happy about the situation, either. 

"Overdosed..."

"You're a vampire now," he breaks it to me. 

"Oh."

There's no shock at first. Or anything at all. I had been expecting this. Even though I hadn't exactly foreseen it, something in me knew that this was where I would end up. That this is the price I would pay for tasting magic. 

But that does not mean I will accept it. I never wished for eternity. It is a curse. 

"How dare you do this to me?! I warned you! I told you!" I yell, pushing myself back into the headboard. 

I wish I were a ghost instead, so I could press myself into the headboard behind me and simply disappear. I wouldn't have to see how hurt they are. But I am hurt too. Right now, I am not fine. Right now, I can cry for all I have lost, for the heart that's as still as stone in my chest. 

Taehyung opens his mouth, tries to say something, then closes his mouth again. Words are lost in the space between us. There is nothing to say, but a lot to feel. Jin moves, fingers about to touch my hand. 

I pull back with a speed that's much quicker than I'm used to. I don't like this. I don't like feeling like an intruder in my own body. This is not me. This should not be me. 

"Don't touch me!" I sob, and furiously wipe at my tears, "I'm sorry. Don't touch me."

And thankfully, they leave me with my thoughts that are too heavy to think about and too melancholy to share. Time passes slowly and conspicuously like it wants me to notice it. I do. I watch seconds turn to minutes and minutes to hours and hours to days. 

It takes four days for me to get over it, for the overwhelming burn in my throat to defeat the pangs of misery. There is nothing to be done. The first person I see once I leave the room is Namjoon. He appears a little shocked to see me, one hand frozen on the handle of his room's door as he's about to enter it. 

"Hi," I say, meekly. 

"Hi," he hesitates, "How are you now?"

"Thirsty," I blurt out. 

And then tears sting my eyes as I clutch my throat. Within seconds, he's before me, gently grabbing my elbows as I sink to the ground. He crouches beside me, but I don't cry anymore.

"Jin!" he yells, startling me. 

Jin appears out of nowhere, and I wonder how teleportation must feel like. He holds an opaque mug in his hands, and I know what it is.

"Blood," he says, sitting beside me, "Here's blood."

I don't want to take it, but I'm starving, and the blood looks as good to me as a slice of pizza did when I was human. Nervously, I take the mug from him and without looking at the contents, I take a sip. 

As much as I don't want to admit it, it's delicious. And it's gone within seconds. 

"What blood was that?" I ask. 

I lick my lips and hand the mug back to Jin. 

"Pig's blood," Namjoon answers, "It's the easiest to procure, and not that bad in taste."

I assume it must be like how humans prefer the meat of certain animals over others. 

"What's your favorite?" I ask him. 

"Moose. I've only tasted it once, but it was the best."

"And you?" I ask Jin. 

"Deer. Really hard to get," he replies.

None of us talk about the breakdown I had as soon as I had woken up. But there's one thing I want to say. 

"Look, I'm sorry I wasn't the nicest to you when I woke up. Don't think that I'm whining because I'm stuck with you guys. I like all of you, but I'm not so sure about spending eternity with you."

Jin smiles adorably, eyes closed and crinkling his nose. 

"Oh, we'll make it fun for you."