35

"Let's go, babe."

"You're going to break the steering wheel," I giggle. 

And it's highly possible with his vampiric strength. Taehyung flexes his fingers, driving at breakneck speed. 

"You will be the death of me," he curses. 

"And you'll be the death of me too if you drive this fast. Slow down!" I yell at a particularly hard turn, "We'll get there too early."

"I'll keep you company."

"I'm not introducing you to my friends," I huff. 

"Why's that?"

Mercifully, he slows to an appropriate speed and I can feel my heartbeat going back to normal from its panicked frenzy. 

"What would I introduce you as? My friend? They'd think you're available."

"Well, if I'm just your friend, I am available. And that wouldn't be your business," he sasses. 

"Excuse me?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"Do you want me to be available?" he asks.

For a brief second, his eyes flash to me, taunting and arrogant. 

"I don't care," I tut. 

"You don't?"

His hand slides across my thigh and I freeze, feeling the slight chillness of his skin through the fabric. 

"Mm-hmm," I barely manage to answer, "If you're my boyfriend, who is Jimin to me?"

"Your boyfriend too. Who said you should have just one? Ah, we're here."

I'm about to pull the handle of the door when Hoseok appears in the backseat, out of nowhere. 

"Keep driving. Don't go to the party," he orders. 

"What?" I ask, "Wait, why?"

"You're in danger. Tae, drive. Now."

Immediately, I panic. Especially when Tae starts to drive with no questions asked. 

"Wait, what about my friends? What is going on? How do you even know I am in danger?" I rapidly ask.

I can't help it. I hate being in the dark.

"Stop nagging so much," Hoseok warns.  

"I'm just asking whether-"

"Shut up, Y/N," he snaps.

And I do something stupidly impulsive. I open the door when the car is still moving. Tae slams the brakes and I lose my balance as I step out.  Luckily, I don't fall on my face. Hoseok is pissed when he opens the door to follow after me. 

He grabs my arm, his grip gentle despite the fury on his face. 

"Y/N?" 

I curse under my breath as I turn to find Eric. Everything seems wrong at that very moment. 

"Are you... okay?" Eric asks. 

Blink twice if you need help. That's the message he was trying to convey to me. He awkwardly shifts the gift in his hand to the other when Hoseok's dark gaze lands on him.

"I'm fine," I reply, a little too meek to be convincing, "What are you doing here?... Ah, I mean. Shit. I don't know. I have to go."

Eric's eyes shift to Hoseok, suspicion as clear as day. 

"Who are you?" Eric just has to ask. 

"Her boyfriend. And you?" 

I must thank my acting skills for quickly covering up the shock on my face as soon as Hoseok said that. 

"Your boyfriend? You never told me you had one," Eric's voice is accusatory. 

"Why?" I ask, genuinely confused. 

I don't remember being that close to him. I don't think I'd ever mentioned to him that I was single, either. 

And at that point in time, a vision attacks me. 

"But I've always been nice to you, Y/N. Tell me what I did wrong."

"Let go of me."

Eric's grip tightens and I stare up at him in alarm, trying to twist my arm out of his grip. 

"Y/N, why would you choose him over me? Tell me."

"Eric-"

"If you choose me, I will treat you like a queen."

A baby with sweet, Bambi eyes. A wedding ring. Eric sitting on the sofa while I lean against his shoulder. 

"Don't- Don't touch me," I gasp, trying to get out of his grip.

"I should really go. Family emergency," I manage to say, "Apologize to Soo for me."

I drag Hoseok into the backseat and slide in next to him, utterly terrified by what I'd just envisioned. 

"What did you just see?" Hoseok asks. 

I stay quiet, pettily getting back at him for not answering my questions. 

"Look, I'm... sorry. I really am. But we have to get back to the others ASAP. I'll explain once we get there."

"Fine," I mutter. 

Tae remains quiet, speeding down the road as if he owns it. When we get back to the penthouse, the others are all crowded around the dining table. Yoongi turns first, then looks back at the table. Then he turns back to me just as fast, eyes widening. 

"Damn, you look-" Jungkook starts. 

"Not the time," Jin chides. 

I walk straight to the table, the scent of iron hitting me hard. Jimin's arm bands around my waist and he closes my eyes with his hand, infuriating me. 

"What? What is going on?" I almost yell. 

"You don't want to see it. Trust me. Guys, throw it out," Namjoon orders. 

"Throw what out?" I ask. 

"In a minute. I'm sure he hid something in there," Yoongi answers Namjoon. 

"In where?" I ask, once again ignored. 

"There's a ring in here. Says 'forever yours'. Know what it means, Yoongi?" Jin asks. 

Thoroughly frustrated, I give up trying to fight out of Jimin's grasp and impatiently wait. 

"Let go of me," I tell through clenched teeth. 

Jimin does so. 

"You won't like what you see."

I don't respond, pushing the other men out of the way to reach the dining table. An ice box sits on the table, open to reveal a heart. A real, human heart covered in dark, clotted blood. I assume it's taken from a dead body. I hope it's from a dead body. I stare for so long, I can't remember the right questions to ask. 

"Why?"

Taehyung is quick to take my arm, forcing me to sit down. I hadn't known I was dizzy until then. 

"It came with this note addressed to Yoongi, from Jordan," he says.

Your little Y/N is the live specimen. Might want to keep an eye on her.

I turn to look at Yoongi, who stares at me with the same dead, cold eyes he had regarded me with on the first day I met him. 

"You have to leave," he says in a clipped voice devoid of emotion, "Get out of the country. Change your name. Live in hiding."

And those were things I had wanted to do. Once upon a time. 

But I'm not so sure anymore. 

"Then what about all of you?" I whisper, "None of you would come with me, right?"

No one answers. No one wants to. 

"It's for your own good."