The Improbable Plan

Back in Ravka, the crew went to get a nice hot meal immediately. Since Sturmhond was an infamous privateer, they were able to get their own room to share stories over each other and their experiences in life. Sturmhond, Tamar and Tolya sat the head of the table whispering, whilst Kaida sat in the far end of the table trying to avoid getting involved in the conversations, but enjoyed listening to the nonsense and the chaotic atmosphere. 

This was the first time she sat with a group of people for a meal. Everybody either having a good time or getting into a heated argument about which drink is the best. Food was spat out every time someone spoke and drinks spilled over forcing the table to soak up the mess. 

Back in East Ravka, there was a choice of sitting with the soldiers, trackers and cartographers, but Kaida always brought her inedible food near the Fold. 

Having sat down with Sturmhond's crew, she almost regretted not sitting with the others in the First Army. Almost. 

If she had sat with them, she wouldn't have had the chance to make a successful plan to escape East Ravka. Plus, she found the company of Sturmhond's crew a lot better than the First Army. They're unusual people. 

The people she was surrounded with at that moment may have been reckless and slightly intense, but they were happy. They laughed every second of the day (more like a wheeze), they encouraged each other and never had mean intentions. The First Army had many people who would spite you for their own gain, mocked that they were better than you and were constantly serious. 

Of course, Kaida thrived in the First Army since she gave all her time and energy to becoming the best fighter and tracker. She didn't waste any time making friends and having fun. It's a waste of time to even talk to anyone, she thought at the time.  

"Can I have everyone's attention, please?" Said Sturmhond over the loud chatter. As soon as he rose, everyone fell silent. He grinned at everyone, clearly proud of himself, "I know we just came back from a trip, however, I was informed that the Darkling himself needs our help." 

Everyone gasped that the Darkling was coming to Sturmhond for help. He's one of the most powerful grisha in the world and he needs a pirate's - privateer's - help? Chatter started amongst the group once again. Sturmhond raised a hand to get everyone to quiet down. 

He explained, "The Sun Summoner, Alina Starkov, escaped from East Ravka recently and the Darkling needs us to bring a whaler to capture her and apparently her friend who's a tracker. I wasn't informed of his name." he continued, "The Darkling doesn't expect us to capture the girl, but needs us to be able to keep her locked belowdecks so she can't escape again. Afterwards with the tracker's help, we're going to need to hunt the Rusalye in the Bone Road, for what reason, I have no idea." 

"Are you mad? Going to the Bone Road is suicide!" A man named Vladimir said flabbergasted. 

"That is why I am going to ask for volunteers only. I understand it's not exactly a desirable job to do, but it would be lovely to have as many of you to come along." Sturmhond added, "We'll also be paid a lot of money."

Savannah asked, "Why'd the Sun Summoner escape from the Darkling in the first place? Shouldn't we protect her if we want to destroy the Fold?" Kaida faced Tolya to see how engaged he was in what she was saying and grunting in agreement. Tamar and Kaida caught eyes, Tamar rolling her eyes while Kaida shook her head tired of his love-sickness. 

"I completely agree with you Savannah, that's why I've made an incredible plan, if I may say so myself." Sturmhond answered. Everybody rolled their eyes synchronously yet smiling at the same time.

He explained his plan where they'd follow along with whatever the Darkling asked for until they found the Rusalye. They'd have the Volkvolny waiting for them in the Bone Road so they can grab the Sun Summoner, the tracker and the Ice Dragon and hop on. He did remind everyone that it was a dangerous task to follow through with but he believed that if anyone were to do it, it would be them. "Of course, we'll need to get into the details of who stays on the Volkvolny and who goes on the whaler and how we'll pull it all off." 

"That's impossible, Sturmhond. You can't outsmart the Darkling." A squaller who Kaida had no idea what their name was, stated. 

"You mean improbable, Yana." Sturmhond winked. 

"Even if the Rusalye existed, why are going to go through so much trouble to put it on the whaler along with the Sun Summoner and the tracker? Can't we just save the Sun Summoner and the tracker?" Someone on the table had asked. 

Sturmhond simply shrugged, "The Darkling considers it crucial to find the Ice Dragon so I think it might be a good idea to take that extra bit of power away from him. Adding onto that, we'll earn even more respect for finding something that's supposed to be mythical." 

Do these fools not know that the Rusalye is an amplifier? Kaida thought to herself. When she was stuck with him, she was forced to read about the different amplifiers and how to hunt one down. After running away, she forgot all about the three amplifiers that go together because it's supposedly a myth. But if the Darkling wanted it so desperately then the stories must somehow be true. 

People started to share the muddled up story about the cursed dragon prince that took the form of the sea serpent and kidnapping beautiful women to take them underwater. It didn't make any sense to Kaida and the fact that it was all a story made her mad. 

If it was real, then it was necessary that Sturmhond and his crew found the Rusalye and got it far out of reach from the Darkling. Kaida couldn't care less if Ravka was going to be destroyed by the Fold and by the Darkling's power because she could easily run away from him whenever she wanted. However, she knew many people weren't going to be able to run away like she could and had family here. They would want to continue to live to see another day and she wasn't going to be the one to take that reasonable and human desire away from them. 

Kaida gulped down her spit, took a deep breath and spoke, "The Rusalye is one of the three amplifiers Sankt Ilya, as most call him, created. The Darkling, I'm assuming is collecting all three to gain more power. Once he has all three, the Rusalye, the Stag and the Firebird, then he'll be powerful beyond our imagination."

Sturmhond raised an eyebrow at her so many thoughts flipping through those muddy green eyes that Kaida couldn't quite read. "Well then, Kalista, it'll be our mission to take the Rusalye out of his reach."