War of Hearts

Kaida walked inside a tent to get changed into the dry clothes Nikolai provided for her. She was standing guard in front of Alina and Mal's tent earlier, waiting for Tolya and Tamar to change first, so that they could switch shifts. 

After all the unnecessary chaos that erupted after Alina's outburst, during the trip to Kribirsk, Kaida had walked at the back with Alina and Mal and she showed her appreciation for the punch. Though they were all worried about what was to happen next, it was a nice moment for Kaida. They quietly complained about the King and Queen avoiding talking about Nikolai's revelation. It was mainly Mal and Kaida who complained about the King and Queen but Alina seemed to agree on everything they said. 

Before Nikolai left Kaida after handing her clothes he begged, "Please, stay. I'll explain everything and anything to you." 

So there she was, pulling off her tunic over her head, standing solitary in her bra and soaked trousers. As she picked up the dry tunic, the tent flap opened. She spun around grabbing her knives that were scattered on a table. 

"Saints," Nikolai stood at the entrance, his eyes wide. He looked up and down and grinned sheepishly, "You look ravishing." 

Kaida threw her knife which dug into the wooden pole next to his face. Her face heated up, as she glanced down at her body. It was pure muscle, not particularly what people find attractive in Ravka, or any country. It was covered with a mixture of tiny scars and large ones, all lumpy and ugly. There were two large ones, one across her stomach and another on her chest. There were several small ones on both arms, neck and the sides of her belly. She couldn't tell how many there were on her back, but she knew that they were there. 

"I'm turning, I'm turning," Nikolai put up his hands, surrendering. 

She quickly pulled the tunic over her head and changed trousers. She sat down on a chair and started braiding her damp hair, staring at Nikolai's back. He had changed into a dry uniform and he removed his sword and put it on the floor slowly. 

"Uh... Is it okay if I turn around?" Nikolai asked timidly. No response. "Look, Kalista, I know you're mad at me but I want to apologise to you properly, facing you." 

Kaida rested her elbow on the arm of the chair, covering her mouth. She breathed in, tears daring to spill out, never once leaving Nikolai. 

It's straightforward. 

"Kaida. Kaida's my name. And I don't work for the Darkling, nor do I work for the King... Not anymore at least," she confessed, her voice shaking. 

Nikolai turned around, he stared at her sadly. He stepped over to her pulling out a blue ribbon, kneeled in front of her and tied the end of the girl's braid. She didn't move a muscle, letting him tie it. 

She studied his new face: not a single freckle on his skin, specks of gold mixed amongst his green and brown eyes, a small scar on the bridge of his nose and a bruise forming on his cheek from Alina's punch. She could get used to this face. I want to get used to this face. 

He finished tying the ribbon and gazed into her eyes, neither turning away. 

"Kaida," Nikolai recited, smiling, "It suits you." 

"Tell me you're not really Prince Nikolai," Kaida whispered. 

His smile vanished, "I can't. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. And I don't ever want to lie to you." He lifted his hand to display his ring. 

It was quiet for a moment. Kaida felt betrayed by her own self. Why wasn't she punching the boy in front of her and running away from the camp? She was going to be executed, He could be around looking for her and the prince kneeling in front of her was probably somehow messing with her.