First Times

Kaida was following around Nikolai who was busily walking around from place to place falling into serious conversations. All she wanted to do was stay in a room and cuddle with Nikolai instead of standing as his guard. After their moment together, he returned to his normal chirpy figure, though when the two were alone he'd sit silently as he worked. His eyes had a little bit of a droop but it was hardly noticeable. He had just finished convincing Baghra to give Alina lessons to make her stronger and it was possibly the most entertaining thing Kaida had ever seen. The two clearly disliked one another but there was a fondness between them. Baghra was simply unpleasant so she understood why Nikolai's patience was almost gone, but since he was the most charming man that ever lived, Baghra was also drawn to him. 

"You care for going on a little date with me?" Nikolai whispered to Kaida. 

"A date?" Kaida asked. 

"Yes. It'll be fun because you're with me, of course." 

"I'm stuck with you everyday and none of it is fun," Kaida deadpanned. 

"You wound me darling Kaida." Nikolai placed his hands on his chest feigning hurt. 

"You're ridiculous. I can't believe you're a soon-to-be King of Ravka." Kaida shook her head in disbelief. 

"I'm an excellent King. I'm good looking, I'm charming even Baghra seems to be warming up to me and intelligent. What more do people want from a king?" Nikolai joked, but there was a hint of seriousness of which he wanted to know what people did look for in a king. 

"They sure don't want a narcissistic king." 

Nikolai scoffed, "Narcissistic. I'm just giving you facts. Anybody else would've said the same things." 

"Sure... whatever helps you sleep at night, my lo-" Kaida stopped herself, eyes widened. 

Nikolai glanced at her, smirking. 

Fortunately for Kaida, they arrived to their destination. Nikolai led the both of them to the southern terrace where the door was hidden in the hem of the Shorn Maiden's brass skirts, and there were coats and hats hung on hooks along her boot. Nikolai grabbed a thick wool coat and helped Kaida get into it. 

"I see you're taking this 'date' very seriously." Kaida whispered so nobody prowling the area would hear. 

Nikolai frowned, "Why wouldn't I take it seriously?" 

"You know why..." 

Though Kaida loved his gesture and idea of taking her on a date, it wasn't a good idea for either of them. They weren't supposed to be romantically involved as that was meant to happen between Alina and him. They may have some sweet moments alone together but outdoors where people could see was a bad idea. And the more they spent time flirting and holding each other, the more heartbreaking it was for the both of them. 

Nikolai didn't respond but left Kaida to button up herself while he put on his own wool coat. 

They went outside where the cold left your nose numb and your cheeks red. The wind was sharp and the white snow trickled graciously. 

There were already a crowd of soldiers and grisha. It was easy to pick out the red crest of Harshaw's hair. He had Oncat curled round his neck like an orange scarf, and Zoya was smirking beside him. 

"Again," said Baghra. 

"It's too far," Alina grumbled. "And it's huge." 

"It is not too far," she sneered. "You are as much there as you are here. The same things that make the mountain make you. It has no lungs, so let it breathe with you. It has no pulse, so give it your heartbeat. That is the essence of the Small Science." She thumped Alina with her stick. "Stop huffing like a wild boar. Breathe the way I taught you - contained, even."