Higher Powers

"Wake up," Said Sturmhond, looking at the Sun Summoner lying on a narrow bunk, wrists in irons. Tolya and Kaida stood behind him peering at her over his shoulder. She didn't look well, her skin turned to green and she was just skin and bone. I don't blame her for looking green though, the stench is revolting down here, Kaida thought. 

Tolya woke her up using his grisha power, her lids fluttered open causing Sturmhond to lean over to her to get a better look at her. She looked at him for a while until her eyes moved to Tolya then to Kaida. 

"Alina," whispered Sturmhond. 

Before Alina could respond, Tamar came into the room and warned, "They're coming." 

Sturmhond cursed. "Put her back down." 

Tolya moved towards Alina and got her to fall back into a deep slumber. 

~

"That was a waste of time," said Tamar after Sturmhond explained what happened belowdecks to her. 

Tolya stated exasperatedly , "She's the Sun Summoner for Saint's sake! The Darkling should treat her better. We can't let this go on for any longer." 

"I think it's a good idea to let her suffer for a bit to ensure she won't want to work with the Darkling," Kaida thought aloud. Tamar and Tolya looked at her terrified, while Sturmhond smirked at her showing his approval. 

"I think I preferred it when you didn't speak. You scare me a lot, Kalista." Tolya told Kaida. 

Kaida shrugged, "I'm just speaking facts. If the Darkling's too kind to her, she'll want to work with him and Djel or Saints or whatever higher power people believe in, knows what will happen." 

"Do you not believe in a Saint?" Tamar gasped. 

"No," Kaida scoffed. 

"You've just seen a Saint yourself according to the many people of Ravka," Sturmhond grinned. 

"What? Alina Starkov?" 

"Mhm..." Sturmhond hummed throwing a grape in his mouth from the bowl in front of him. 

The four of them were sitting in an office which Sturmhond announced was his own for the time they were on the whaler. When it was late at night they would secretly discuss their plan against the Darkling in that room, but also had casual chats when they needed to get away from the power-hungry Darkling and grisha that worked for him. The grisha that worked with Sturmhond were careful not to use their powers because they didn't want to be sent to work for the Second Army. That was the whole reason they were working with Sturmhond. They had more freedom and were respected as people not as some weapon. 

Kaida shook her head. She didn't care if people believed in Saints, but to her they were just grisha who made a difference to the world both good and bad. Those Saints were already dead and once Death took people under her arm, there was nothing afterwards. Those Saints couldn't watch over living people and determine to have their prayers answered. 

Of course Kaida wasn't certain if Saints could actually answer to people's prayers and looked over them, but throughout her whole life no Saint ever watched over her when she needed it most. She looked after herself and overcame every obstacle that came in her way alone, no matter how brutal it was. The Saints didn't deserve her prayers.  

"Alina is just an ordinary girl with grisha powers that nobody else has had in the past. That doesn't sound like a Saint to me," Kaida answered nonchalantly. 

"We'll see," Sturmhond responded chewing his the green grapes, "Let's get back to work, we don't want people getting suspicious." 

~