Surprise

Kaida stood guard in one of the sumptuous dining rooms of the Grand Palace, a chamber known as the Eagle's Nest for the massive frieze on its ceiling depicting the crowned double eagle, a scepter in one talon and a cluster of black arrows bound by red, blue, and purple ribbons in the other. Its feathers had been wrought in real gold. 

It was Nikolai's birthday that day and they were currently having dinner. She wished him a happy birthday earlier, but other than that, she couldn't do anything special for him. He was busy getting ready for the dinner all day and was finishing some extra work. 

The table was crowded with the highest-ranking generals of the First Army and their wives, as well as all the most prominent Lantsov uncles, aunts and cousins. The Queen sat at one end of the table looking like a crumpled flower in pale rose silk. At the opposite end, Vasily sat next to the King, pretending not to notice his father ogled an officer's young wife. 

I hope they die the most painful death, Kaida cursed, unclenching her fist. 

Nikolai held court at centre table, with Alina beside him, his charm sparkling as always. 

He'd asked that no ball be thrown in his honor. It didn't seem fitting with so many refugees going hungry outside the city walls. But it was Belyanoch, and the King and Queen didn't seem able to restrain themselves. The meal consisted of thirteen courses, including a whole suckling pig and a life-size gelatin mold cast in the shape of a fawn. 

When the time came for gifts, Nikolai's father presented him with an enormous egg glazed in pale blue. It opened to reveal an exquisite miniature ship set on a lapis sea. Sturmhond's red dog banner flew from the ship's mast, and its little cannon fired with a pop that released the tiniest puff of white smoke. 

Throughout the dinner, his hazel eyes caught her icy ones for a milisecond and then they'd look away immediately, so no one would notice them. It was like they were sharing secrets to one another, but neither knew of the other's secret. 

The nobles raised toasts to Nikolai's health. The generals praised his military leadership and courage. Vasily was surprisingly in a good mood, not sneering at all the praise his brother was receiving. His face was rosy with wine, and there was what could only be described as a smug smile on his lips. His trip to Caryeva seemed to have left him in a good mood. 

It was difficult to tell if Nikolai was enjoying his birthday dinner. He was smiling, laughing and chatting with everyone, but every time Kaida would glance his way when he wasn't busy charming people, his smile faltered. Those were the only times he'd glance back at her and all she wanted to do was wrap her arms around him and stroke his golden hair. 

When the flavoured ices had been served, Vasily rose to his feet and lifted a glass of champagne. 

"Brother," he said, "it is good to be able to toast your birth this day and to celebrate with you when you have spent so long on other shores. I salute you and drink your honor. To your health. little brother!" 

"Ne zalost!" chorused the guests, drinking deeply from their glasses and resuming their conversations. 

But Vasily wasn't finished. He tapped the side of his glass with his fork producing a loud clink clink clink that regained the party's attention. 

"Today," he said, "we have more to celebrate than my brother's noble birth." 

If the emphasis weren't enough, Vasily's smirk would have been. Nikolai continued to smile pleasantly. 

That's right Nikolai, don't let your brother's idiocy get to you. 

Kaida heard the rumours of Nikolai being a bastard. And in all honesty, she was delighted. That meant that he was only related to either the King or the Queen. She was hoping he wasn't related to the King.