Mila

The winding white gravel path led them through the palace grounds, past the rolling lawns and follies, and the high walls of the hedge maze. Tolya, ordinarily so still and silent, squirmed in his saddle, his mouth set in a sullen line. 

"Something wrong?" Alina asked. 

"It smells like weakness here. Like people getting soft." 

Alina shot a glance at the giant warrior. "Everyone is soft compared to you, Tolya." 

Not quite, Kaida thought to herself. 

Tamar could usually be counted upon to laugh off her brother's moods, but instead she said, "He's right. This place feels like it's dying." 

They entered the wooded tunnel. The trees pressed in on them and, above, the branches wove together in a canopy of green. 

They emerged into bright sunshine. Below them lay the Little Palace. 

It had golden domes and strange walls carved with every manner of beast, real and imagined. There was a blue lake gleaming like a slice of sky, the tiny island not quite at its centre, the white flecks of the Summoners' pavilions on its shore. It was a place like no other. 

An improvement from the Grand Palace. I can manage to stay here for a while. 

First Army soldiers were stationed around the grounds, rifles on their backs. Kaida doubted they'd do much good against a force of determined heartrenders, squallers, and inferni, but the message was clear: the grisha were not to be trusted. 

A group of servants dressed in grey waited on the steps to take their horses. 

Instead of letting the servants take away the horses on their own, Kaida helped them out while the rest of the party went inside. 

After seeing the King, the bitter resentment toward him grew during the trip from the Grand Palace. She decided it was a good idea to help the servants as a nice gesture which they took the offer gratefully.

She didn't understand what made her hate him so much, but she expected that she despised those who abused their power and exploited the people who did all their work for them to get to the position they unfairly reached. 

That's why she could tolerate Sturmhond, but not the King of Ravka. Never. 

The second she stepped out the stables a girl a bit older than her introduced herself, "I'm Mila." 

Kaida jumped, reaching for her knives, not noticing her. Once she saw that it was one of the servants she replied. "Kaida."

"Thanks for helping out. A lot of us aren't going to get much rest because both princes returned home." Mila explained. Her sandy hair was wrapped around her head in a braid with a bun in the middle. Her eyes were light brown, sparkling with the sunshine beaming down on her. 

"Of course," Kaida gave her the friendliest smile she could give. 

"Do you work for one of the princes?" 

"I'm Nikolai's personal guard," Kaida answered, sorrow jabbing at her crumpled heart as she said his name. 

Mila's eyes widened, shock all over her face. "Wow... He lets you call him Nikolai?" 

"We met under strange circumstances, so yes. Though in front of other guards and his family I call him moi tsarevich." Kaida explained. 

Mila smiled, dimples on both cheeks appearing. Her teeth a little wonky here and there. 

"I think I should go find the Sun Summoner, make sure she's alright," Kaida said, rubbing the back of her neck. 

"Not Prince Nikolai?" 

"There are enough guards protecting him already, and he's surrounded by his family that just threatened to hang me, so no." She answered Mila's question. 

Although she was supposed to be following him around, he told her that it would be best to guard Alina first since she'd have more difficulty being accepted at the Little Palace. But after time passes, she was to properly be his guard. 

"Oh. What did you do?" Kaida started to walk but Mila followed, curiosity getting the best of her. 

"I deserted my position in the First Army." 

"Saints, I admire you." she breathed out, eyes in complete awe.

Kaida stopped and stared at the scrawny girl. "You admire a deserter?" 

The girl went on her toes and Kaida bent down as Mila whispered in her ear, "If I had the guts, I'd run away, right now." She went back on her feet then said, "But I don't, that's why I admire your bravery." 

Kaida gave a lopsided grin whilst looking down at her. I'd want to run away from this place too, if I were you. 

"When the time comes, I'll help you." Kaida promised. 

Then she strode off to find Alina and the rest of the group, inside the Little Palace.