Family

Kaida's eyes slowly fluttered open and was greeted with dim lights illuminating the room. Shadows flickered steadily on the well polished wood as the fire on the candles swayed. The room was flooded with the familiar scent of the sea, citrus and a hint of pine. The bed she was laying on was softer than anything she's ever slept on and wondered, where am I? And where have I smelled this lovely scent before? 

Instantly, she remembered what happened before she blacked out and sprang up, nearly toppling off the double bed. 

"Saints, Kalista, I didn't notice you were awake," the boy with the red hair and muddy green eyes stood at the end of the room with a candle in his hand. Kaida observed him for a moment, he wasn't wearing his usual attire, instead wearing a nightgown. Although he looked exhausted, he was still glowing. "How are you?" 

Kaida's mouth was slightly open with furrowed brows, "Are you wearing a nightgown?" 

"Well, yes I am," Sturmhond looked at himself. "It's past midnight and I'm going to sleep. Is there a problem?" 

"This whole time you've been sleeping in nightgowns and the rest of the crew had to sleep in the uncomfortable clothes they wore everyday," Kaida crossed her arms. 

"You always say 'the crew' instead of 'we'." Sturmhond mentioned, studying the girl in front of him as she nibbled at her nails unresponsive, "You do know you're part of the crew, right Kalista?" 

She looked away, her back hunched over while she sat cross-legged on the bed, wishing that what Sturmhond said was true. But he wasn't even part of the crew. He was the captain, the one everyone followed and listened to. Of course he would tell her that she's part of the crew, he wanted more workers to do his work. 

Perhaps if the real crew told her that she was part of the crew, she would accept it. 

"The problem is that you don't have a nightcap to finish the look," Kaida answered his previous question, glancing up at him. 

Sturmhond grinned, touching the top of his head. "I've been thinking of purchasing one recently, but Tamar and Tolya keep convincing me out of it, saying that they don't mean to be rude, but they think I'd look like an idiot and that I wouldn't get any respect from anybody. Especially them. They definitely made that clear. But I mean who needs respect when you have a dashing nightcap?" 

Kaida bit down her smile, "I think you'd get more respect if you wear a nightcap, even during the day." 

"You think so? Because your opinion matters most to me." Kaida's eyebrows shot up and he stumbled over his words, "B-because you're my partner, of course," he continued with a lopsided grin, "Once we get back to Ravka, we can go shopping for them, together. I can get you one as well." 

"Don't drag me into this," Kaida covered her face, nausea taking over her. 

"Do you need a cup of water?" Sturmhond ran over to pour water into a cup and was about to walk back but decided to grab a bucket too to prevent vomit stains on his bed, "Maybe a bucket for you too, darling." 

Instantly, she threw up in the bucket and Sturmhond backed away a little to give her some space, the cup still in his hand. Once she was done, he handed her the cup which she gulped down. Her throat still felt dry, even after hydrating herself. 

"I'll get out your way," Kaida stood up, her vision slightly disfigured. 

"You can stay if you'd like," Sturmhond offered. 

"No, no, I should let you rest," Kaida declined.

"I really don't-" 

"Leave it, I'm fine. I need to walk and clear my mind anyways." She snapped at him.