Chapter 12

I didn't say anything as we dumped his body on their territory, making sure we stayed out of their sight. He wasn't dead but relatively close to it, just a gift for them to know I'm not playing games. I couldn't help but feel betrayed for what they did, or at least what my mother did. She knew I used to be close with him and how I had feelings for him; sleeping with him on my twenty-third birthday had hurt but not as bad as sending him to attack me. To know he had no issue with breaking me so that he could remain on my mother's good side, even if she refuses to sleep with him again.

Pushing away from the thoughts of my mother and old friend, I nudged Margaret and Alexandria, telling them we needed to go. They didn't argue with me, looking around the forest with alertness shining in their eyes. Despite being on Lazarus's territory still, they knew better to trust my old pack would care for the rules. After all, my mother had taunted Odessa to step over so she could attack her. Something I couldn't bring myself to tell Lazarus when I first met him, knowing it could have caused him to kill my mother. However, now I'm beginning to wonder if that was a good idea. I'm starting to regret agreeing to this and allowing my parents to live, knowing the chaos will never end until they do. But they're also my parents; they raised me, loved me, and taught me many lessons. If it weren't for them, I'd probably be as weak as they said I was.

Groaning, I ran a hand through my hair before leaning my head against the car window. "Lazarus already knows, doesn't he?" I asked.

"Why?" Margaret squeaked, looking at me.

I didn't say a word as I pointed to the far end of the road; once Alex saw him, she let out a scream and slammed on her breaks. He stood utterly still, his ocean eyes staring straight at us and his arms folded across his chest. With a face red from shock and anger, Alex parked the car and got out of the vehicle before storming over to him.

"Are you crazy?" She screamed, slapping him on his chest.

He rolled his eyes at her before walking to my side of the car and pulling the door open, frowning at me. "Let me see your arm."

I hesitated but gave in, lacking the energy to refuse. Carefully, he pulled down the shoulder of my shirt to inspect my wound, his lips set in a thin line. He removed the soaked cloth over the injury before ripping a part of his shirt and applying more pressure, causing me to bite back a yelp. Dizziness and nausea hit me like a tidal wave, black dots spotting my vision as I felt myself leaning forward.

"Whoa, easy there," Lazarus voiced, gently pressing me back against the seat.

I broke out in a cold sweat, swallowing hard as I attempted to stay awake. He removed the piece of clothing, making a noise of disapproval as he continued inspecting it.

"This won't stop bleeding; she needs to get to the infirmary fast. I'll take her. You take the car back to the garage," he ordered.

He carefully undid my seatbelt before cradling me in his arms, my blood immediately soaking part of his shirt. My brain became fogged as I tried saying something, claiming I didn't need his help. However, my vision went black, and I lost awareness before I could say a word.

"She lost a lot of blood; it's a miracle she's alive."

"How bad was the damage?"

"The muscle there is most definitely torn. It'll take a few weeks for it to completely heal. I was able to repair most of it. The force he had used to stab her ended up crushing her collarbone; therefore, she'll need to have a sling on for a few weeks and then physical therapy. Other than that, she's expected to make a full recovery."

"Good."

"I have a business to attend to. Let me know if there are any problems."

I heard them mumble a few more things before the door closed, leaving me alone, I assume. I tried opening my eyes a few times, but the sunlight made it somewhat tricky. After several more attempts, I could get my eyes to adjust to the light, wincing a few more times before I felt completely comfortable.

"You're awake."

I let out a scream, yanking myself up as I moved to the side of the bed. Lazarus's eyes widened as he lunged forward, grabbing me before I fell to the floor. For a second, it was an awkward silence as we just stared at each other, his arms still wrapped protectively around me before he set me back and let go. Swallowing my embarrassment, I cleared my throat and looked towards him again.

"I thought you left?" I asked, confused.

He raised an eyebrow, "Were you awake during that conversation?"

"Sort of. You didn't answer my question."

"I was going to, but figured you wouldn't want to wake up alone."

"You actually care now?"

Folding his arms across his chest, he settled with a stern stare, "I always cared. I didn't hate you, you just so happen to be the daughter of two people that killed my mate and daughter, and I took it out on you. But when the doctor told me about your scars and other hints of abuse, I realized I'm not their only victim. Granted, you are a very irksome woman."

"You don't trust me, though."

"Not yet. You're difficult to figure out."

I nodded before releasing a breath, "Are Alex and Margaret okay?"

"Yeah, the cut on Margaret's face already healed. Left a small scar, but she considers it a battle wound."

"Of course she does," I chuckled.

Fatigue suddenly washed over me, causing me to yawn as I leaned back against the pillows. I saw a hint of a slight smile on his face as he visibly relaxed.

"Why don't you get some more rest? I'll let Alex and Margaret know you're okay," he voiced.

I smiled in response, my eyes growing heavy before I gave in to the urge to sleep. I felt him fix the blanket, so it was covering my body before losing all awareness.

A/N: Sometimes I wonder if I was drunk writing these