Chapter 24

I swirled my coffee around in the mug, thinking over my life choices as I sat beside the pool. My mother was making threats, per usual at this point, I sometimes want to ask her why she's so obsessed with me. She told me she hated me, hell, she has wanted me dead for a long time. Now that I'm out of her hair, she suddenly wants me back, either to torture me or convince me to work for her. It's comical how much of an idiot she is, does she truly think I'd willingly go back to her after everything? Is she really making threats to Lazarus, of all people? I know I haven't truly seen him in action, but he has earned his title and the rumors about him for a reason. He doesn't play nicely and he's beginning to grow irritated by my mother. Seeing how he fights during training had me grimacing for his warriors.

He stopped their attacks with ease, knowing their every move even when they changed it up. He even knew when they were sneaking up on him when he has his back turned as if he could hear every little sound. It had me wanting to fight him, to see his skill upfront and personal. However, I doubt he'd let me for a while, even when I am finished physical therapy.

Since I decided to set our problems aside and be less hostile towards him, he has become rather protective of me. I'm not sure if his wolf is influencing him due to seeing me as a mate or if Lazarus truly does care. I know now he doesn't necessarily hate me, but I highly doubt the guy sees me in a way more than an ally. Though, I can't help but find it flattering whenever he made sure I'm okay.

"You seem depressed."

Looking up, I shrugged, "It's warm, I'm half asleep and my coffee hasn't hit me yet."

Monroe chuckled before sitting beside me, "How's the shoulder?"

"It's healing quickly now, maybe one more week of physical therapy and I can return to light training. What threats has Theresa made now?"

"The usual, threatening to destroy our pack until we return you to her."

"Do you think she knows?"

"That you're a pure Alpha? Not sure. It's odd though, you'd think she would know if she's related to royals."

I frowned, "It's from my dad's side. He was considered pure-blood too but held no Alpha qualities. The entire thing is confusing."

"Did he ever tell her?"

"No, he kept it a secret and when I found out, he told me to not tell her. In a way...a twisted way...my dad did try to protect me from my mother. There were a few times he took my punishments instead of me. But killing Odessa and Delilah was all him, never thought he'd have that in him."

Monroe nodded, "Do you ever think of that day?"

"Every night. I still get nightmares about me being unable to at least save Delilah. Lazarus doesn't even know the half of my punishment for running in front of her, trying to save her."

"What happened?"

I looked down once more, trying not to relive the panic as I remembered that day. I had run towards her, pushing warriors out of my way as I attempted to grab her. I can remember apologizing to Odessa as my mother pulled me away and threw me onto the ground. I winced as memories of the punishment flashed through my mind, how I didn't recognize them as they yelled at me.

"There wasn't a whip this time, that was only for certain punishments," I said softly. "My mother came down to the cells and screamed at me, calling me weak, telling me I was an embarrassment to her. I didn't even recognize her eyes, they were dark and sadistic. Then she had two warriors beat me until I lost consciousness. They left me there for two days, with no food, no water. During that time, I wished that was enough to kill a werewolf."