Chapter 16

Knot's POV
That's not possible.

I looked through the list of the latest inhalation drugs and was thinking about Khun J's promise on the effectiveness of the drugs on nekos. I was enraged, feeling betrayed when I'd thought of the possibility of Khun J sending me adulterated goods. It took him a while to finally pick up my call and his slightly ignorant voice rang from the other side.

"What is it, Knot?"

"Khun J, I had tested one of the inhalation drugs on the neko but why wasn't it working? Are you giving me those fake ones?" I tried to compose myself while questioning and instantly heard a loud 'bang' from the other end of the phone call.

"Are you doubting me, Knot?!" His grim voice roared and my hand that was grasping on the phone was trembling faintly, "Never question me Knot. If it ever fails, it will always be because of you and your inability."

Hearing him, I held my breath before answering him, "Yes, Khun J. It was my fault, sorry for interrupting."

"It's better that you know where you stand, Knot."

"Yes, Khun J."

"And I want results by the end of this month."

"Yes, Khun J." And he immediately hung up the call.

I slumped back into my seat after the conversation with Khun J, rubbing my throbbing temple.

I need to think of a way to let the neko transform back into his true form. I couldn't risk losing the largest supplier of the chemicals and drugs for our research institute and the main sponsor.
_______________________________________
Arthit's POV
I was busy with my report when I heard a stifled groan. I turned to the side and saw Kongpob finally stirring awake as he sat up on the table. I quickly went up to him and grabbed a syringe filled with water as I started feeding him slowly.

"How are you feeling?" I mind linked him and saw him nodding softly with assurance before replying to me.

"I'm fine. There was a moment just now, I felt suffocated and couldn't really breath. But I'm feeling alright now, just a little aching on my nape." And I began lightly massaging on the skin of his nape as he eased into my caress.

"The next test will be in two days. Do you... think you can take it?"

"I should be fine."

"If anything happens, I'll try and get you out of here and when that really happens, remember to never return. It's not safe here."

"But what about you? You're one of us now." Concern was evident as he grunted gloomily.

"I'll be fine here. P'Knot... he wouldn't do anything to me."

"But he's..."

"He won't and I'm sure of it."

"Is it... about your past?" He asked while gazing at me and that's the moment I decided to tell him everything.

"I was once born in a really happy family. My dad was an entrepreneur and my mom was a housewife. She was actually a nurse but she decided to give up her job to dedicate in the family. Although my dad wasn't earning tons of money, we're still quite wealthy. But then... tragedy happened. His company was facing a huge loss and he wasn't able to afford it or get any help from his so-called friends. Both my parents couldn't ask for help from our relatives either, they're orphans that lived in the same orphanage and they eventually fell in love. My dad... he couldn't accept the reality. He started alcoholism and ultimately became abusive to my mom. My mom... she's a great woman and the best mother I could ever have. She sheltered me away from all these harsh situations and mostly cruelties of life. I am really grateful to her. But that bastard that was supposed to be my father had schemed an accident to run off with the money I worked hard for my mom's medical expenses. She was having cancer and she needed the money to undergo chemotherapy. She trusted that filth to drive her to the hospital and he was the reason she's still unconscious up till now." I wiped the tears flowing down my cheeks roughly and felt Kongpob's paw comfortingly patting on my hand.

I bet he saw the immense hatred and loathe imprinted in my eyes. It's the most hideous truth that all I wanted now was to avenge my mom.

"Then... that's when I met P'Knot again. He was a senior in my university. We were really close until he decided to confess to me on his graduation day. I'd rejected him as I wasn't really considering myself to be involved in a relationship. He appeared when I needed help the most. He offered to pay all the expenses for me and all I needed was to sign a contract to work with him. I was too foolish and naïve to even hold trust in him. He tricked me into an agreement that I will no longer have my freedom, let alone to escape from the hell he introduced to me. I have no one to seek help for. He would always hire someone to oversee me when I'm visiting my mom. Although that contract is only for five years, I know he'll force me into continuing it. And I admit... I lost miserably in the game named life." I tried to resist the sobs that were forming and bit on the back of my hand as more tears streaked.

"You have me now, Arthit. You're not alone anymore." His voice soft as a whisper as he jumped into my arms, glancing at me with his gentle gaze. Placing a tender kiss on the left side of my chest, right above where my helpless heart held, I couldn't help but to chuckle at his consoling and yet adorable gesture.

"And no! I'm not pitying you either, so get that in your mind."

"You have me now, Arthit. We're together now."

"We'll help each other out. No me or you, just us, alright?"

.

.

.

"Yes."

A/N:
Well, more details about Arthit have been revealed in this chapter and I hope it clears some of your confusions. Thanks for reading.