Chapter 14

Arthit's POV
"Ahhh!"

I instantly sat up from my bed, sweat dripping down my temples as I panted faintly while thinking about the nightmare I just had a little while back.

He was there in my dream and it has been at least a year since I had ever dreamt of him after he left. But lately after P'Knot told me about the new batch of drugs, that man kept appearing in my sleep.

I wiped the sweat off as I reached to grab a glass of water in my small chamber. I then brought the glass to the couch and sat on it while sipping on the cool water.

I kept reminiscing about that man.

That man was once the source of happiness in my family. He would buy me sweets when he got off from work, kiss my cheek when he arrived home, and read me stories before bedtime. Our family wasn't wealthy nor poor but everyday together was already enough for us.

Until one day, the small enterprise owned by that man was facing problems with money management and would be declared insolvent if he couldn't have a strong cash flow within a month. It was all fine at first as he would still be busy running about to socialize with the rich and find ways to deal with the issues on finance.

But he was soon pressured as there weren't many that wanted to help and he started drowning himself in alcohol, wishing to forget every worry if he's drunk. He wasn't sober most of the time and he began to mistreat my mom when she tried to help him out. But I was still hoping he would change as every time after the abuse, he would wake up with tears staining on his cheeks.

Just maybe... he still loves us.

We didn't know, we were too naïve back then to even hope.

Eventually, the situation got worse after he was declared bankrupt as he immersed himself in his own loss with alcohol and more beatings on mom. I was still young when all that happened and mom had made sure that I wouldn't witness such horrible scenes. But when I was in junior high school, I started to understand everything and I wasn't yearning for any change in him anymore. I wanted to run away with mom but she was adamant to stay, wishing for her shattered heart to be mend by the man who broke it himself.

It was so foolish of her to even refuse.

Then things got worse, mom wasn't in her best state and she was forced to stop working when she was found out with brain cancer. We needed money to treat her but when that man knew about it, he was firm that he wouldn't let mom get treated. Something ridiculous about cancers couldn't be treated.

I abominated him from that moment.

However, I wasn't going to give up on getting mom treated as I started juggling between a few part-time jobs when I was in university. Life was hard but I was lucky to have met a good senior and tutor. He's P'Knot and I've known him since my freshman year. We were great friends despite him being in the hazers team and we got really close a year later. He was in his fourth year and was planning to study abroad for two years for his master degree. Then on his graduation day, he decided to confess to me and I was utterly stunned. I have never realized his feelings for me and was already too busy to manage my own life. Thus, I'd rejected his confession and we didn't meet until he returned.

Those two years when he was gone, I'd managed to finish my degree and I was planning to continue with my master degree as well when the accident happened.

It was oddly gloomy that day when that man offered to bring my mom for her checkup as she would feel dizzy most of the time and wasn't able to drive herself. I wanted to turn down his offer at first but mom wanted it, she said she was seeing hope in him, the love she still craves after years of him letting her down and I have no other choice but to agree to it as well.

Mom had trusted him!

I couldn't believe how she could even trust that scum and faith in him!

He wanted to take her life, to end everything as he purposely ran into a tree when they were on the way to the hospital in the second-hand car that mom owned. She had install a really cheap dash camera, saying that it might scare off thieves that wanted to steal our car as we lived in a quite remote place and the footage that was recorded had became the proof that he wanted to take away her life, and he had even sneak off with her money that was given by me for her treatment. When the paramedics had arrived, they only found her in the car, no sign of that man. I only got notified about that incident a few hours later and when I'd arrived at the hospital, the doctor had declared her to be vegetated.

I wasn't ready to let her go and I'm not going to let my only family left in this world to leave my side too. I became desperately in need of money for her extortionate hospital bills and that's when I bumped into P'Knot, realizing that his father owned the hospital. After knowing the whole situation, he gave me an offer and even prepared a contract. I was needed to work in his research institute for at least 5 years and would be getting a quarter of the pay of the scientists working there which isn't much but he'd promised to pay for my mom's hospital bills and I get a place to stay in the institute. He gave me a week's time to consider and it only took me one day to hesitate as I went to him at midnight.

And I was too careless to trust him too.

I was too eager to sign the contract and didn't notice that he had added new regulations in it.

I was scammed into his ugly plots by his twisted mind.

I wasn't given freedom anymore.

I wasn't allowed to speak for myself anymore.

I wasn't in control of my life anymore.

A/N:
I would try to update the next chapter tomorrow but I couldn't be sure about that 'cause I've been really exhausted these two days, emotionally. It's family related and I know I'll be fine in a while so I'll try my best to update though, thanks for reading.