Hal Kipp

Jett walked slowly next to Yoda. He was so, so old, and she really didn't want to rush him. However, her new Jedi Master was right down the hall. The duo's footsteps echoed through the service tunnel. They were navigating the depths of the Temple, heading towards the Tech Center.

"This way, you will go," said Yoda, pointing with his cane. "At the end of the hallway, your Master awaits."

Okay. Thank you Master Yoda.

"May the force be with you, Silent Jedi."

Yoda began walking in the direction they came. Jett went down into the hallway with caution. Was this a test? Was he going to jump her to test her reflexes? A door opened at the end of the hallway, and yes, Jett did jump. This wasn't her Master, though. It was a happy, orange and red astromech.

Jett was immediately enthralled, completely even forgetting that she was supposed to meet her Jedi Master. How could she do anything else? This astromech was so bright and colorful and cute.

"You're Jett?"

Jett turned and saw a large figure in front of her. He had to be at least seven feet tall. His soft, yellow eyes stared at Jett through the holes of his mask. A set of goggles sat atop his head.

You scared me. I saw your face and thought you were General Grievous for a second. You sound the same too.

"Grievous is a disgrace to my people. I'm a proud Kaleesh. Not a traitor," said the man. "My name is Hal Kipp, Jedi Knight. I work down here in one of the satellite Tech Center rooms. I design and build astromechs."

Jett's jaw was about to hit the floor. Astromechs? Her most favorite thing in the galaxy, and her new Jedi Master worked with them all day?

This is the best day of my life, sir, said Jett.

"Master Yoda told me the force drew him to us. I see that you must like astromechs, so that should be the reason why," said Hal.

Astromechs are my favorite thing. Ever, said Jett. Can you hear me okay?

"Very clearly, Padawan. You don't speak?"

No. I can't.

Hal closed his eyes and chuckled. "My Master couldn't hear. All of this feels familiar! You're a great match for me. I can already tell."

Thank you, Master Hal. I'm going to do my very best to be a good Padawan!

"You showed up on time. That's a great first step. Come with me. We'll get started right away. There's a lot to do."

Jett followed Hal into the droid repair shop, and then to a back room. Sketches were pinned all over the walls. The desk had a few undone drawings, along with a cup of chewed up writing sticks. A wastebasket was filled and overflowing with crumpled-up drawings.

"I always have a lot to do, so I'm very overwhelmed most of the time," said Hal.

Master, with all due respect, I'd be very overwhelmed too if this was my work environment. I'd love to help you clean up this place.

"I can't build any droids if I'm too busy organizing. Now let's get to work."

Jett sat across from Hal at the table. He hung up his messenger bag, which was stuffed to the brim with crumpled drawings and whatever else. He placed a bin of droid parts on the table, then lowered his goggles over his eyes. He split the parts up between him and Jett, then laid out all of their tools.

"Use your imagination. Start creating something," said Hal.

Sure thing!

Jett reached for a screwdriver, but Hal pulled her hand away.

"Not like that, Padawan. Use the force," he said. "Let me demonstrate."

Jett watched as Hal focused and meditated, then opened his eyes. All the tools were doing the job on their own. The junk parts started to come together into what eventually became an astromech eye.

"See the parts. Visualize it. Then create it. Trust in the force. Your turn," said Hal.

Jett looked at all the junk metal and scraps. She was seeing a lightsaber in her mind, so that was what she tried to create: the second half of her pike. The tools worked together with the scrap metal, and everything pieced together. Hal was looking on, highly impressed. The long hilt of the pike was complete.

Jett reached out to grab it. She held it up, proud, accomplished. And then it broke. The entire hilt shattered into pieces, which spilled all over the table and the floor. Jett gave Hal an awkward smile, because that's exactly how this moment felt: awkward.

"You were overzealous. Try again. Think of something smaller," said Hal. Jett was hesitating. "Failure is part of the droid-making process. You need to focus. Go again, Jett. You can and will succeed."

Jett sighed and then took a few deep breaths. She focused on an object that popped into her head. It was small, round, and had blinking lights. One by one, the pieces came together. The object dropped into her hands.

Uhh...how's this, Master?

"Accurate. Scary accurate, in fact," he said.

I don't know what this is. Is it some kind of droid part I've never seen?

"No. That's a thermal detonator."

Jett gasped. What? Is it gonna blow up?

"No. There's no charge in it, nor is it activated," he said, taking it out of her hands. "I know you have a love for astromechs, but I think you may have a different calling."

A different calling?

"Yes," Hal said. "Building explosives."