Not Alone

In the halls near the Tech Center, Hal did his best to focus on the conversation he was having, rather than the idea which had just popped into his head seconds before Yoda came down to see him.

"Your former Padawan...how is she, Hal Kipp?" Yoda asked.

"If you are here to reaffirm that she's unwell, I understand. It's why I asked that she be taken off her current assignment, Master Yoda."

"Wounds of grief take time, yes. But with the Silent Jedi, more complicated for her to heal, it is. A proposition for you, I have."

"I'm open to anything that will help Jett," said Hal.

"Shortly departing, a mission to Ryloth, there is. A simple supply run. Lift her spirits, it will."

"She's upstairs. I'll go get her," said Hal.

"Alert Sha Koon, I shall. Delighted to meet Jett, she will be."

Upstairs in the nursery, Jett was holding Grogu and giving him a bottle, but he was starting to fall asleep. She'd been spending more time there lately in the weeks since Rosa's passing. It helped fill in the gaps between work and bedtime.

"How are you doing that? He never falls asleep for me!" said Miss Art.

I...don't know. I don't understand why he likes me so much.

"Sometimes in life, there's just a lot of things we don't understand," said Miss Art, giving Jett a warm, comforting smile. Her eyes averted to the doorway.

Jett turned to see Hal standing there.

"You're going on a mission," he said.

I'm not in the mood. I'm never doing war stuff again!

"It's a supply run. You're giving food to kids. I suggest you try to get yourself in the mood."

"Here, I'll take him back," Miss Art said, taking Grogu and cradling him in her arms.

Jett clapped her hands and Breezy zoomed away from the kids she was playing with on the carpet. She went to Jett's side as she walked down the hallway with Hal.

I really don't want to go. I'm not in the right state of mind to be smiley and help little kids.

"You seemed happy when you were holding that baby just now."

Grogu is different.

On their way to the shuttle bay, Hal gave Jett a rundown on the mission she'd be going on with Sha Koon. Breezy hummed and whirred. Something about going into space always excited her.

The shuttle bay was bustling with all kinds of ships going in and out.

Which ship is mine? Jett asked.

"To be honest I'm not sure. I'll ask that droid over there," Hal said. He walked up to a protocol droid who was going towards one of the ships. "Excuse me, are you with Sha Koon?"

"No sir, I'm not," said the droid.

They moved onto a Padawan who was loading another ship. He hadn't heard of Sha Koon either. They asked and asked, then finally got all the way to the very last dock, where they saw a Keldor Jedi watching a ship being loaded by droids.

That must be Sha Koon!

"Let's see," said Hal. He cleared his throat. "Excuse me! Are you Sha Koon?"

The Keldorian woman turned around. She looked very similar to her uncle. Where an eyeshield normally would be, a clump of bandages covered her right eye.

"Yes, I am," she said, coming down the ramp. "Is this the Silent Jedi I've heard so much about? Yoda said we have much in common. You were also injured in your last mission."

Jett nodded.

"I'm glad we finally found you, Sha. No one in this shuttle bay seems to have heard of you. Reminds me of our crew down in the Tech Center," Hal said, chuckling. "Nobody here at the Temple has heard of us."

I have. I read her Wookieepedia page.

"What are you talking about?" asked Sha.

It's...nevermind, said Jett.

"We'll be back by tomorrow night. She'll be in good hands. I can sense your worry..."

"Hal Kipp," said Hal.

I can handle myself. I'm a Jedi Knight.

"In my heart you'll always be my Padawan. One never stops wanting to protect the ones they care about."

I'll be fine. I promise.

Jett and Sha boarded the ship and started on their journey. They were accompanied by a variety of droids, but they were the only two Jedi. They sat down at a table and started chatting once they were in hyperspace.

"I appreciate your assistance, Jett. I didn't think I'd be able to pull this mission off. I was set to use my Padawan and a hefty amount of my troops, but...rounding up some droids and an available Jedi Knight was pure luck."

I'm happy to help. It's actually kind of refreshing to be away from the Temple for a little bit. I thought it would feel the opposite. I'm sorry about your Padawan. I lost someone really close to me as well, she said, fiddling with the bracelet on her wrist.

"Perhaps we can lift each others' spirits together, then?" Sha got up and looked out the window. "I hope we live to see the end of this awful war. I'm never fighting in another battle again."

Me either. I told Hal that I'm not going on anymore off-planet missions.

"We really are one in the same, Jett," said Sha.

The hours passed by. Jett and Sha talked and played games to kill the time. Soon enough, they were out of hyperspace. They continued on the route to Ryloth, but the ship stopped unexpectedly.

What's going on? Jett asked.

Sha looked out the window and gasped. "Pirates! And lots of them."

Their saucer-shaped ships began shooting. Jett and Sha grabbed their lightsabers. They were outnumbered, but hopefully not outmatched. It was going to be a battle to the bitter end to protect the food for the hungry refugees down on Ryloth.