Chapter 17: Family Bonds

Third-Person

Mary sits in her room watching some Tik Tok videos on her phone. She laughs to herself and eats some crisps. She sits up against her bed side and scrolls through her phone.

“Mary!” Her mum shouts.

Mary groans and puts her phone on sleep mode. She opens the door and pokes her head out. “WHAT?” Mary shouts.

Her mum doesn’t reply and Mary rolls her eyes. “What is it?” Mary asks again.

“Can you come down and try this on for me?” Her mum asks.

Mary sighs and walks out her room, closing the door behind her. She walks down the stairs and into her living room. She sees her mum holding a denim jacket in her hands, sitting at her desk.

“Come over here and try this on will you? I found it while I was going through some old boxes... It will probably not fit you anyway but I don’t want to waste a perfectly decent jacket.” Her mum says, mumbling the last little bit.

Mary raises an eyebrow. “What was that last part?” She checks.

Her mum waves her hand and throws the jacket on the couch, turning back to her computer screen. “Oh nothing.”

Mary sighs and picks the jacket up. She puts it on and it fits her perfectly. Mary smiles and looks at her mum. “Hey, turn around.” Mary tells her.

Her mum starts to turn around, sighing. “It doesn’t fit you? Oh well, I wasn’t expecting it to anyway-” Her mum sees her in the jacket and Mary grins. “Oh. It does fit you. Wow.” Mary’s mum says, surprised.

Mary frowns. “What? You thought it wouldn’t fit me? After all the BS I’ve been through and enemies I’ve fought. You're sure to lose a few pounds.” Mary growls.

She takes the jacket off and throws it on the couch.

“Alright then, you keep it, can you go do the dishes now?” Her mum asks.

Mary looks at her shocked. “I did them last yesterday! And the day before that, and the day before that! It’s your turn!” She shouts.

Her mum rolls her eyes. “It’s not like you're doing anything important. After you do the dishes you can go to the shops and get me some coke, we’re running out.”

Mary looks at her mum, extremely taken back. “Why can’t you do it! You're not doing any university stuff right now! I can see your computer!”

Her mum sighs and rolls her eyes again. “What’s the harm in walking an extra few steps? It’ll help you to lose some more weight.”

Mary takes a step back. “What are you trying to say? Are you trying to say I’m overweight?” She asks.

Her mum shakes her head. “Did I say that?”

Mary crosses her arms. “No, but it sure as hell seems like what you were implying. You know what? No. I’m not going to do the dishes; and no. I’m not going to the shops. Why don’t you go yourself for a change, and while you're at it. Maybe make the dinner too, since you haven't in over 3 months!” Mary shouts.

Her mum quickly stands up and Mary takes a few steps back. “Listen to me now young lady! You will not speak to me like that! I don’t care what you say. You are doing those dishes and going to the shops whether you like it or not!” Mary’s mum screams.

Mary clenches her fists and shakes her head rapidly. “NO! This is how it’s been ever since dad died! I’ve had to do everything while you throw yourself a pity party and stay in bed all day! I miss dad too you know! But you don’t care, do you? You never thought about how it affected me. Not one bit. I was taking myself to school and everything. Teachers nearly phoned social services because of it! And you know what? I wish they did! I wish I wasn’t in this house with someone who fat shames me and makes me feel like a worthless piece of shit!”