Chapter 20: Rumour Has It

The next day, everyone goes to the arena once again to see what the next match is going to be. I still don’t think it’s a good idea that the matches are still happening but I’m not the boss, am I? I look around at my friends and smile.

“So, how are you guys all feeling about this? You know, after the whole...shield fiasco?” I ask.

Cecilia looks at me. “I’m not sure...I don’t want what happened to Agent 3 to happen to anyone else. It’s horrible.” She replies.

“I’m sure things will be fine. Master Hand knows what he’s doing...I think.” Eilidh adds.

Celeste snorts to herself as Mary opens the doors to the arena. We see Mario, Luigi, Peach and Daisy all standing together and wave at them. Daisy sees us and waves us over. We walk over to them and smile. “Hi everyone, you excited for the match today?” Peach asks.

Bryony nods her head and Eilidh smiles.

“Yeah! We are. Who do you think it’ll be today?” Mary asks.

“Beats me. Maybe someone who hasn’t been in a while.” Mario suggests.

We all continue to talk for a little while longer as we wait for the match to be revealed. The billboard buzzes to life and everyone looks at it in anticipation. “Hello hello our lovely contestants. How is everyone this fine day?” The announcer asks.

Everyone cheers in response and the announcer laughs. “I don't know what you all said but you sound happy. Are you ready to see who will be fighting today? Because I sure am! However, before we start. I just want to send our condolences to Agent 3. We love you darling and hope that you get better soon. Now, let’s move on before the water works start! Spin the wheel and let's see who’s fighting today!” 

The billboard cuts to the wheel and it starts to spin through all the fighters. I practically hold my breath and Cecilia squeezes my hand. The wheel starts to slow down and lands on two fighters...Me and-

“Well would you look at that! Looks like our Girl Next Door Charlie is going to be going against the Blue Blur! Sonic the Hedgehog. This looks like it will be an interesting match folks. Who will take the win? The spiky blue hedgehog? Or everyone’s favourite new girl on the block! Well you’ll have to keep watching to find out! Would everyone that isn’t our two star fighters head to the stands while our fighters head to the waiting room! Stay tuned in folks. This is a match you do not want to miss!” 

I look around at all my friends and Mary cheers. “Yes! You can finally show that whiny ass hedgehog who’s boss! I can’t wait to see him get his ass kicked!” She exclaims.

Celeste cheers along with her and Bryony grins. “I won’t lie. I wanna see him get three stocked.” Bryony agrees.

I laugh to myself and turn to head to the waiting room. “See you guys soon! Hopefully after I win the match!” I shout to them.

Everyone waves as I walk off. Do I think I can win? Well, yeah. I bet him before when I barely used my powers. Surely I can beat him when I use them. But I shouldn’t get too cocky. That could make me lose the game entirely.

Third-Person

Sonic paces around the waiting room, both waiting for the match to start and for Charlie to arrive. He looks down at the ground and shakes his head, still walking.

“Come on. I can do this! I know all her moves. I’ve fought with her! But then again she’s fought with me as well...Eh. I’ll win. She doesn’t stand a chance! I’m Sonic the hedgehog! Who can beat me? Egghead couldn't, so how will she?” Sonic tells himself.