thirty four (34)

*simon's point of view*

monday

we decided to go back to hillerska on sunday night, first because i don't think we would have survived another day without seeing each other, and second because wilhelm convinced the headmistress that it wouldn't be fair for me to travel on my birthday. i don't think she actually gave a shit but wilhelm wouldn't shut up about it until she said yes.

and now it was monday morning, and we were 2 out of 5 students that were here. he had to wake me up extra early today, though, because i had choir practice and then a performance at 7 and he wanted to give me my present before.

"hi there," he said when i started to move.

i groaned in response.

"you're older than me now."

"only by like four months."

his mouth hung open.

"you found out when my birthday is?"

"it's not like it was difficult."

he laughed.

"alright, i'm sorry to do this to you today but you gotta get up. practice starts in 45 minutes."

"aghhhhh."

"stop being a drama king and get your ass up."

"you're supposed to be nice to me today," i complained.

"and i will be very nice, just after you get ready."

i threw the blankets off and walked to the bathroom.

20 minutes later, i had my hillerska uniform on, and wilhelm was walking behind me with his hands over my eyes.

"alright you can sit down here."

i did.

"good, now keep your eyes closed and i'm gonna put it in your hand."

he took his hands off and i heard a drawer open. then i felt something small and heavy in my hand.

"alright open your eyes."

when i did, i saw a tiny leather jewelry box. what the hell? my jaw dropped and i looked to him.

"don't freak out, just open the box."

easier said than done.

i was shaking as i slowly brought my hand up to the lid and tilted it back.

i gasped.

inside there was a beautiful ring with a thin silver band. in the center there was a small and delicate yellow diamond in the shape of a heart. it was incredible. i picked it out of the box and examined it. it was too small for any of my other fingers, but it looked like it would fit my pinky perfectly.

"oh my fuck."

he laughed.

"do you like it?"

i put the ring back in the box and climbed onto his lap to kiss him. he smiled into the kiss.

"i don't deserve you."

"i think it's the other way around."

i left my forehead rest on his shoulder.

"look at the little note inside."

i skeptically picked the box back up and searched for paper. i found it right away and picked it up. when i unfolded it, the note read: