thirty six (36)

*simon's point of view*

one week until summer

"okay, so we have to see each other at least once a week, right?" he was saying.

i nodded.

"okay, okay," he noted as he typed something into his phone, "how often do you think your mom will let me stay over?"

i shrugged.

"whenever you want to. things just won't be very exciting when you sleep over," i said, with a sarcastic frown.

he laughed and put his hand on my shoulder.

"we have a palace for that."

i smiled and fell back down onto the pillow.

"it sucks that you live so far away."

he laid down with me.

"it's only an hour."

i sighed.

"i know, but that's a long drive."

he wrapped his arm around me.

"we're gonna be okay."

"i know."

six days until summer

"i can't just 'take a week off'! it doesn't work like that."

i was confused.

"but you don't have to have meetings every day during the school year."

"because it's school, love. they sent me here for school so i could focus on my grades."

"but you never cared for your grades? i don't understand how this is working."

he sighed.

"i don't get a choice at that. they want me to focus on school so i'm not distracted by the crown, or you. but i just don't. i don't care for it."

i leaned onto his shoulder.

"i know you don't," i explained to him, "so is all of the work in the summer to make up for that?"

"kind of, but i'd have this much work in the summer anyways."

i hate that. i hate that for the rest of his life, he'll never have an uncomplicated job, or a simple house, or a small family that gets to just go to public school and live.

"so one day every week is all you can get?"

he nodded sadly.

five days until summer

"no simon, you don't get it! you don't understand how much pressure this is on me!"

is he fucking serious?

"i might not get the whole publicity part, but i understand the coming out part, and i know it's not easy!"

"but you don't fucking understand! you were met with support from everyone in your immediate family. my own mom can barely look me in the eyes because it's very possible i could marry someone who isn't a woman! you don't have that expectation! you don't need to meet those standards!"

"how the hell is that my fault?! i've supported you through all of this because i care for you and i'm fucking in love with you!"

i knew people could hear us yelling through the paper-thin walls. i didn't care.

"do you understand how much loving you has cost me?"

he said it. he said what i was scared he would say the entire time. i could feel the tears stinging at my eyes. he moved closer to me.