Chapter 1

Adam had entered the Santa Rosa Police Department bright and early. It was his first day in a new city. He just transferred in from Minnesota. He was looking forward to working in California. Not much happened at the station he used to work at. He walked up to the lobby desk.

         "Excuse me, I'm supposed to meet with Police Chief Foust. Could you tell me where to find him?" He asked.

        "Just go through those doors on the right. His office will be the first one on the left. I'll let him know that you are here. What is your name?" The female officer asked.

         "Officer Adam Rupp." 

          "Ok, Officer Rupp, he will be expecting you."

          "Thank you," Adam said before going through the doors. He found the door with the police chief's name on it and knocked.

          "Come in," a very deep voice boomed from inside. Adam entered, feeling a little nervous. He never heard a voice that deep before. "Have a seat. You must be Adam." He held out his hand for Adam to shake. "I have read over your file. I think that you will be a good fit for our department. Have you ever done under cover work before?"

        "I've done some but not a whole lot. Mostly drug busts, a few murder investigations. I hate the domestic violence calls because the people involved sometimes turn on us instead."

         "That happens here, too. I see that you have orchestrated several successful drug raids. We will definitely need your experience on that here. Santa Rosa has a lot of drug dealers. We have murders, prostitution, a lot of burglaries, DUI's. Never a dull moment in this city. Follow me to our briefing room. We all meet in there to have coffee and discuss some of the things that happened on the other shifts. Shift change should be starting."

         Tim lead Adam down a corridor that turned to the left. They passed a room with two officers sitting at a desk talking to a woman dressed as a hooker. Her back was to him so he couldn't get a look at her. Tim made a motion to them telling them to get to the briefing room. The two men quickly got up from their chairs. Adam was led to a room next door that had a lot of desks. Tim told him to grab a cup of coffee and to sit at one. Many of the officers were already sitting with their coffee. Tim cleared his throat.

         "Well, I see that we are just waiting on officer O'Hare to show up." No sooner had he said that did the woman dressed like a hooker came running in. Adam's jaw hit the floor. 

         "Sorry Chief. I just finished my report on the prostitution ring that we busted up. It's been a long night."

          "That's ok, Linds. You and officers Brown and Chance can all go home soon. Shift change is about to start. I wanted to introduce you to the newest member of our team. This is Detective Adam Rupp. He transferred from Minnesota. These three are some of my best detectives, Detective Austin Brown, Detective Adam Chance, but we usually call him Chance because there are other Adams here, and this lovely lady is Detective Lindsey O'Hare. They have been infiltrating a local prostitution ring and finally busted it up late last night." They all greeted Adam with friendly smiles. "Ok, those of you that worked on the prostitution ring can go home and get some rest. We will see you here tomorrow morning to go over new assignments." Lindsey got up with a yawn.

        "See you boys tomorrow. Chance, Austin, great work out there last night. We nailed that bastard good. See you later, Chief." Adam watched as Lindsey walked out of the room. The other two left shortly after her. Tim noticed Adam watching the door.

         "Those three are the best detectives on this force. Lindsey is the team lead." Tim told him.

        "Really? We didn't have any female officers back home. Let alone a female detective." Adam replied.