Chapter 6

Lindsey got the grill going. She was glad that the grill used charcoal. She didn't like using gas grills. Austin was making the patties. Adam and Chance sat outside talking and drinking. Adam watched as she worked. Grilling wasn't usually something women did. 

           "Here are the patties and bbq sauce, Linds. I made extra because Tim will probably come over. The man has the nose of a bloodhound." Austin handed her a plate with the meat on it. "Who wants cheese on theirs?" Adam and Chance raised their hands. He also brought her another beer.

          Adam, for some reason, couldn't stop watching her. She looked good in shorts. She had short, athletic legs from working out. 

           "Do you have a good dress to wear for tomorrow night?"

            "Not yet. I'll have to do some shopping tomorrow while you stake out the place. Don't worry. I'll get something that doesn't look too slutty."  She heard a knock on their door. "I'll bet that's the Chief right now," she smirked. Sure enough, Austin was bringing Tim out onto the deck and handing him a beer.

           "I thought that I smelt Lindsey's hamburgers. I gotta tell you, Adam. Once you eat one of her burgers, you won't ever want one from any place else again." Tim told him.

            Adam just nodded. His friends had told him stuff like that before but they were always wrong. He had to admit that the smell was making his mouth water. It had been years since he had had anything from a real grill. Everybody used gas nowadays. She definitely looked like she knew what she was doing. Soon the burgers were ready.

           "Ok everyone, food is ready," she said as she took the plate of burgers into the kitchen. The men let her go first before making theirs. They chose to eat outside since it had cooled a little.

         Adam took a bite and had to close his eyes. My god, these are the juiciest burgers that he had ever had. Tim wasn't lying. They just sat around eating and drinking, having a good time.

         The next day the guys had staked out the bar. There was a vacant building across the street that had a great view of the bar near the big window. After getting everything set up, it was almost time to pick up Lindsey.

          Lindsey was waiting nervously for the guys. She had found a dark blue cocktail dress that fit her curves perfectly. She did her make up like an expert. When Chance honked his horn, she went out to meet them, locking her door behind her. She heard a couple of whistles from her two friends and flipped them off.

         "Damn, girl, you are smokin' tonight. If I didn't think that you would kick my ass and if I wasn't already taken, I'd be all over you," Austin told her, earning a slap to the back of his head. Adam could only stare. Wow, was all he thought. She almost looked like a model. They drove downtown and parked behind the vacant building. Lindsey had put on the mic and ear piece before walking across the street. After checking to see if they could hear each other, she went in. The place wasn't very busy and she sat near the window and ordered a drink. She had to try hard not to laugh as Austin tried to make her laugh over the wire. They waited for about a half hour until someone approached her. Only it wasn't someone they were expecting. She almost jumped when she heard an unwelcome voice.

          "Looking good, Linds. Seeing you like this almost makes me wish we were still together." Michael had approached her and sat down.

         "Uh oh, Chance. Michael just sat down next to her. He is going to blow the whole op."

         "Let's hope that he doesn't start any shit." They were each able to hear the conversation. Adam went on alert for trouble, thinking about what happened the other night.