Chapter 5

They drove quietly back to the station. Lindsey had taken her blazer off again. After they got out of her car and went inside, Lindsey went straight to Tim's office and knocked.

         "Come in," He yelled. He watched them file into his office.

       "Chief, we have a problem. The Cold One is back. We are going to need all the old files on that case."

        Tim jumped up. "Are you sure? We have been wanting to nail that son of a bitch for years."

       "Positive. Jimmy said the Cold One. If you could find all the case files on him, we can get Adam up to date on it."

           "Ok. Let me just look in this filing cabinet here. Ah, here it is. By the way Lindsey, what happened to your face this time?"

          "Jimmy started to run and she jumped up onto a car to catch him. She complained about breaking a nail instead of hurting her face," Austin had said.

          "Well, ok. You guys are free to go handle your cases the way that you usually do. Just don't drink too much. I'll probably see you at the gym later." Tim dismissed them.

         "What did he mean by that?" Adam asked.

         "Well, when we start brainstorming, we either go to Lindsey's or our place. We go over everything and sometimes have a drink while doing it. It helps us focus better, believe it or not. It's easier to focus at home instead of here, where you have others coming and going. It distracts us. We always work this way. We always keep the Chief in the loop. He offers suggestions and helps us when we need it. We always run our plans by him. He allows us to work from home a lot," Chance explained as the entered the parking lot. "So let's meet at our place this time. We were at your place for our last one, Linds."

          "Sure, not a problem. Just let me change my clothes. I didn't think it was going to be so hot today. Need me to bring anything to drink?"

           "No. We got it this time. Just give us time to stop at the liquor store real quick. We will get some ice, too. Maybe later we can grill some burgers or something. Nix the liquor store, Austin. We will stop at Safeway before going home."

          "Ok. So we will see you guys soon?" Austin had asked. Adam and Lindsey both nodded. Chance and Austin had gotten into Chance's car and headed to the store.

            "So, I guess I will see you at their place soon." Lindsey told Adam as she put the top down on her car before getting in it. He nodded as he got into his car. She backed out of her parking spot with her radio blaring. By the time Adam got out of his parking spot, she was already headed down the street. He decided that he would also stop and pick up some beer before heading home. When he came up to a stop light, he ended up right next to her car. She was just singing along to a song on her radio, waiting for the light to change. She had lit a cigarette while she was sitting there. When the light changed, Adam drove a little further to where a liquor store was while Lindsey got into the lane that was turning right onto the street where the complex was at.

         Lindsey parked in front of her place. She wanted to hurry inside where it would be cooler. It was only about one o'clock but it was cooking outside. It already felt like it was in the 90s. She took off her gun and badge before changing into a pair of jean shorts and blue tank top. Her blonde hair had started growing out a little but wasn't long enough to put all of it into a ponytail so she did a partial with putting the sides and top of her hair up while leaving the back down. Her bangs always grew fast and she hated having them in her face. Especially when it was hot. She stuck her gun and badge into her purse. She never went anywhere without them, even next door. Chance and Austin were the same way. She looked out her window and noticed that Adam was home already. As she was turning away from the window, she heard a radio blaring. Looking out again, she saw Austin and Chance coming up their street. She grabbed her purse and keys and all the case files they had and went outside to meet them.